Friday, November 8, 2013

Financial Responsibility

Growing up, money was not something that was openly discussed in my home. We were not rich. We couldn't make purchases on a whim. At times, money was tight. In the worse of times, I never suffered. My family basically did everything we wanted to do. We sometimes had to stretch pennies to do it, but we always seemed to have enough. Neglecting a debt or financial commitment was never an option for my parents. I suppose that is why I strive to have a good relationship with money.

 

The first principle my parents passed on to me was the importance of generosity. The first portion of every paycheck went to our local church. It wasn't just fulfilling a commitment; I watched my parents give joyfully from what they had. During my adulthood, I have struggled with this concept at times. I never felt I made enough money to give. When I finally realized that it was all about the gift and not the amount or frequency, a new world opened up to me. As I began to become more generous, I found that I actually had more to give!

 

The other lesson instilled by my folks was the importance of fulfilling your commitments. Bills are essentially credits extended to you on your promise to pay. You gave your word! If you want to have a good reputation, it's important to honor your word...even when it's inconvenient.

 

What about the times the money just isn't there? The commitment was still made and should be honored. I'm actually finding myself in this situation now. A recent visit to the ER has led to bills pouring into my mailbox. Since I'm uninsured, I'm responsible for the cost; unfortunately I cannot pay all of the bills in one lump sum. I dreaded calling the creditors to make payment arrangements. I don't know if I was embarrassed or fearful that a compromise couldn't be reached. When I finally called, I found that an enormous burden was lifted from my shoulders because I was being honest about my situation while expressing my intentions to pay the amount in full. Shame was gone, and a compromise was reached. Sure, I'll be paying this expense off for quite sometime, but I'm following through with my responsibility. I guess it's all part of being an adult.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment