Monday, November 18, 2013

Hits and Misses (November 10-16)

Another week is beginning, but before we get too far into things, let's take one last look at the week that was.

HITS

  • Movie week! It's always nice to return to the classroom after a very busy few days to show a film version of a major musical. This year's selection was Oklahoma! 
  • The bulk of my work this week was in final preparation for the Hindemith clarinet sonata that I played in departmental recital. Despite a few glitches, the performance went fairly well. Maybe I'm the oddball, but I truly enjoy getting to play Hindemith's works; they are just fun!
  • Opera workshop rolled out some of our scenes to a retirement home early in the week. Even though this hasn't been my favorite music, it was nice to share some of these "golden oldies" with these charming men and women.
  • Medicine is a gift from Heaven! It's amazing that we are able to self-diagnosis our ailments with a certain amount of accuracy and then treat it with over-the-counter medication. I'm think I'm only dealing with a mild case of the flu (or a really nasty cold)……but either way, I haven't felt this poorly in some time. The worst of it was quickly treated with meds…..making this a "hit" instead of a "miss."


MISSES

  • Getting sick is never fun. The bug began to creep in on Thursday afternoon. The first thing to go was my sense of rhythm…..probably not the best thing to lose when you're sight-reading choral works either. By the time Friday evening's recital rolled around, I felt as though I had been hit by a mack truck! I didn't play horribly, but I certainly missed a lot of easy passages that I could normally play in my sleep.
  • When I get sick, I lose all motivation to do anything. I hate it, but it's just the way I'm built. No reading…..no thinking…..no rehearsing……I'm simply going to find a couch or a bed and sleep the hours away!

No comments:

Post a Comment