Monday, November 25, 2013

Hits and Misses (November 17-23)

Here's a look back at the great week that was!

HITS

  • The week started with a few extra moments to spare, so I was able to get back to my reading. When things get really busy, it's always one of the first things to get pushed aside. Even though there is still a lot of work ahead in the coming weeks, finding time to read again reminds me that the end of the craziness is in sight.
  • I have survived another semester of teaching College Survival. I can't yet say that all of my students have survived (they still have a few projects to submit), but all in all, the class has been a success. Since the work load has been reduced significantly and the individual instructors have finally been given permission to tailor the instruction to our skills and styles, the course seems to be working much better. There are still some things that need to be corrected, but I have hope that next semester's class will be an even better experience.
  • I love performing. I enjoy it even more when the production and the cast are at a point where everyone can simply have fun on stage! This semester's opera workshop at Union was just such a situation. Even though there were some stressful moments during production week (nothing new there!), the cast remained relaxed and trusted each other to pull off a great show in the end. 
  • It's always nice to hear positive feedback. I am in the process of applying for several job openings around the country; there is one in particular that would definitely be a blessing. As part of the application process, I have requested letters of recommendation. This week I was overwhelmed by the kind words expressed in one of these letters. I knew my work was appreciated and respected, but there was something about reading that fact expressed so eloquently that was touching…..and a boost to keep pushing to do the best work I can at all times.
  • After a particularly long day, I received a sweet email from a dear friend who thought of me when she saw a particular cookie in the local supermarket. The email was informative, but it was also tempered with her particular humor and unquestionable love. It probably doesn't sound like much to most of you, but that email made me smile and was one of the highlights of my week. It was also a nice reminder to me that even the simplest things can make a huge difference to a person's day.
  • Saturday brought the week to a close with the Freeman Thanksgiving Celebration in Crawfordsville. Since several of us will be out of pocket on the holiday, all ten of us came together to eat, laugh, and love on each other. We are a silly crew when we are together, but I wouldn't have it any other way. We've all faced our bumps in life recently, but our family bonds are stronger than ever (that's what happens when some of the trash is finally taken out!) and our faith and commitment to Christ continues to grow. It was the perfect ending to a really good week.
MISSES
  • Late night rehearsals have never been very good for me. I know they are sometimes necessary, but I rarely am in a good mood while I'm there. After a long day of playing for lessons and other rehearsals, the last thing I want to do is sit in a recital hall for another 90 draining minutes! (Notice….rehearsals are draining, but performances are exhilarating! What's the difference? I suppose it's all about having an audience.)
  • The only thing worse than those late night rehearsals are missed rehearsals! It seems as though I complain about these every week. You would think I would be used to them by now, but I'm not. I think some people need to learn something about how to properly use personal calendars. Ugh!
  • Students also need refresher courses in using personal calendars. Projects in my class are assigned weeks (if not months) in advance! You know the deadline is coming. You have a clear description of the assignment in your syllabus. It's not going to sit well with me when you approach the day before the deadline to ask for an extension. Nine times out of ten the answer will be the same…..ABSOLUTELY NOT! You may turn the assignment in late, but there will be a penalty for missing the deadline.
  • It's been a long semester with a lot on my plate. As a result of the busy schedule, it's the time of year when I begin to experience a lot of fatigue. I'm not sick; I'm just tired. It effects my mood and my perspective. Fortunately, I'm able to turn in a little earlier in the evening or take a power nap in the middle of the day.
  • When I'm fatigued, the worst thing to do is ask me to come to a meeting that really has no purpose. These monthly meetings are the pits and really need to be re-evaluated; the information they contain are designed for someone above my pay grade. I don't need to have a presentation of the data that you have compiled. If you would like me to be a little more invested in the information, create a full-time position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment