Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It's All in the Timing

Earlier today I met Jere Douglas, a FaceBook friend whom I will be joining in recital on Friday evening at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Houston. Our rehearsal was very exciting and honestly a lot of fun. As part of this four-hour marathon rehearsal, Jere and I found ourselves needing numerous breaks. Since all of our interaction has been via social networking sites, Jere was familiar with my resume and knew that I am employed by a church, so he introduced me to the music minister at St. Andrew's. This interaction was extremely pleasant and the minister was gracious, personable, and humorous.

After several hours of rehearsal, Jere and I knew we needed a mental break, so we went on another field trip. I was introduced to a charming older gentleman who spearheads a hospitality ministry serving the families of long-term patients at an area medical center. We were then on our way to meet the senior pastor of St. Andrew's.

As we went into the office lobby, I noticed that the pastor's door was closed. Jere peeked in and then knocked. The minister graciously answered the door and I was introduced. I quickly thanked him for allowing us to use the beautiful facilities and tried to subtly allow him to rejoin the staff meeting that was in progress. Jere asked if I could speak to the staff - a total surprise to me - but the Senior Pastor was accommodating. The faces of the staff bore a different message, however.

Yes, everyone in the meeting was kind, but it was also evident that they were wondering WHY were these two men interrupting their weekly staff meeting. The poor music minister, also present, looked as though he were a deer caught in the headlights! I truly felt sorrow for him and mildly embarrassed myself. As we were leaving the office complex, the Senior Pastor was again so generous and, apparently having noticed my discomfort, smiled with understanding as we exited.

I was not offended by the staff or Jere in any way. I completely understand everyone's perspective. Jere is attempting to create a chamber music series at St. Andrew's and was introducing the performers to the influential people. The staff members, on the other hand, found themselves interrupted by an unknown individual (me!) in the middle of a busy workday. I have sat where they are on numerous occasions and have experienced similar frustration at the interruptions. I shudder to think of the people who have felt as though their entrance was an unwelcome intrusion into my schedule.

In a society that is driven by the clock, scheduled appointments are the order of the day. Want to frustrate me? Show up late for a meeting or rehearsal to which you committed and I'll be ready to have your head on a silver platter! Have an unscheduled person interrupt the appointment with something unessential and prepare to see my temper flare. How often I forget what should be the focus of my work as a minister, teacher, and musician: PEOPLE! My planning and preparation is of little value if I do not make time for the ones I am to serve. Without people, a musician has no audience. Without people, the teacher has no class. Without people, the minister is without purpose.

Do I think that the staff of St. Andrew's Presbyterian in Houston are rude? Absolutely not. Do I feel as though they do not care about their world? Certainly not! The church's commitment to their community was evident as I walked the halls of the building. I simply think that I caught them at an unexpected time and they reacted as most of us would - and, as much as I hate to admit it, as I often have in a similar situation. I hope that the next time I face another unexpected interruption to my schedule that I will remember my experience at St. Andrew's and pause to give these individuals the attention and respect they deserve. After all, it's all in the timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment