Friday, May 28, 2010

Cherish the Remembrance

With the beginning of the Memorial Day weekend fast approaching, many of my thoughts today have been centered around remembrances. Remembering those who have given so much, those who are no longer with us, those we love who are not as near as we would like, and those who have suffered. While it sounds depressing at first, my meditations and memories today have been nothing of the sort.


Memorial Day is set aside to honor those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our nation so that we might have freedom. This year's Day of Remembrance will take on new significance to me after having the privilege of visiting the Pearl Harbor Memorial earlier this year. As I toured the grounds of that beautiful location, I was overcome with gratitude to the men who fearlessly fought a generation before. As I stood over the final resting place of the U.S.S. Arizona and watched the oil continue to rise to the surface of the water, I silently prayed that I would never forget the price that was paid for my liberty and that I would never take it for granted.


This year has also seen personal loss in my life. Family and friends that I treasured have left this life and moved on to a better place. On the flip side, however, I am so thankful for the blessings of health and safety that have been given to my immediate family this year. It's been a year of turmoil for us in many ways since we last observed Memorial Day. There were days we didn't know if we would see the next or not. In His graciousness, God protected, provided, and defended in times that we were helpless and totally reliant on His faithfulness.


Suffering is always with us. However, I can think of few who have suffered more than the Jewish victims of the Holocaust. My mind is drawn to this time in history this Memorial Day weekend because I am currently reading The Hiding Place, the story of Corrie ten Boom. I am still in the early stages of the work, but I find myself stopping quite often to meditate on her commentary and statements of profound love and forgiveness in the midst of such horrible suffering. If more of us could emulate the level of grace and genuine peace she displayed, our world would be a much better place.


This evening, I met a friend for dinner at one of my favorite local restaurants. For dessert, I ordered the creme brulee. While the food was amazing and the company was cherished, my mind went racing back to the first time I experienced this luxurious sweet. I was in New York City with Tiffany, a treasured college friend who has become like a sister to me. After a day of exploring the city together and consuming large amounts of food (savory AND sweet), we decided to have a nightcap at a nearby establishment. While Tiff was having a drink to end the night, I needed one more dessert. At her recommendation, I tried the creme brulee. The evening ended with lots of laughter and fond memories that I will always associate with this creamy, decadent dessert that has now become my favorite after-dinner splurge. Sadly for me, Tiff and I don't get to reconnect as often as I would like. When we do (and when I stay out of trouble!) the experience is pure pleasure and a welcome change from the daily grind. This is a friendship that I completely treasure.


Take some time this Memorial Day weekend to honor those whose lives have been given for the cause of liberty. Then take a further stroll down memory lane and honor those who have made and continue to make an impact upon your life. Cry a little, laugh a little, and cherish the remembrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment