Sunday, May 30, 2010

"The Hiding Place"


For several years now, The Hiding Place has been on my "to read" list. I had heard so many good things about the book from others, but could never find a time to sit down to read it. Now I realize what a treasure has escaped me for so long!

The Hiding Place is the story of Corrie Ten Boom, a Dutch Christian who was involved with the underground movement during the Nazi occupation of Holland. As a result of transporting Jews to safety, Corrie and members of her family are jailed. Ultimately, Corrie and her sister, Betsie, find themselves serving time in Ravensbruck--one of Germany's most notorious concentration camps. In the midst of their immense suffering, Corrie and Betsie found strength in their personal faith and ministered to countless women.

Nuggets of truth are contained throughout the book. Discussions on love, suffering, and forgiveness abound. These lessons have come at a very pertinent time for me. In a season where I have experienced more offense and hurt than in any other time of my life, I am learning lessons from Corrie Ten Boom. I was especially touched by one particular passage at the end of the book.

After Corrie's release from Ravensbruck (which she later learns was the result of a clerical error!), she begins to speak throughout Europe. At one of her speaking engagements, Corrie encounters one of the soldiers who had been present when she was first brought to the camp. Corrie recounts this meeting:

His hand was thrust out to shake mine. And I, who had preached so often to the people in Bloemendaal the need to forgive, kept my hand at my side.

Even as the angry, vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the sin of them. Jesus Christ had died for this man; was I going to ask for more? Lord Jesus, I prayed, forgive me and help me to forgive him.

I tried to smile, I struggled to raise my hand. I could not. I felt nothing, not the slightest spark of warmth or charity. And so again I breathed a silent prayer. Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give me Your forgiveness.

As I took his hand the most incredible thing happened. From my shoulder along my arm and through my hand a current seemed to pass from me to him, while into my heart sprang a love for this stranger that almost overwhelmed me.

And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His. When he tells us to love our enemies, He gives, along with the command, the love itself. (The Hiding Place, 238)

Have I forgiven those who have hurt me so deeply? Intellectually, yes. But deep in my heart, no. Every time I see them or hear their name, I still remember the pain. What an insight and a refreshing thought it is that I don't have to produce the forgiveness myself--because I never could--but rather, I have to allow His forgiveness to flow through me. Will it be easy? Certainly not because I'm human and the pain is deep. But "the world's healing" that Ten Boom mentions includes my healing. As my emotions are healed, forgiveness will be extended to others. I've got a long way to go, but it's comforting to know that I'm not trying to get there all by myself.

1 comment:

  1. Kennith, WOW, what an insight. Thank You for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete