Monday, October 17, 2016

Hits and Misses (October 9-15)

While my blogging may be a little sporadic at the moment, I intend to at least post this weekly look back regularly.  So here's a look at the week that was.....

HITS
  • When the week got started, I thought a bulldozer was moving through my head. I felt horrible! Cold medicine came to the rescue and knocked whatever it was out of my system before another week of work got started.
  • Sunday was a packed day of worship. The morning services at CHBC were wonderful and we followed things up with the Night of Worship in Harral. This was a joint effort between several of the churches in the city and was a success. Thankfully, I only had to play one solo, but had been a part of the rehearsal process at CHBC and subbed for the pianist during Saturday evening's dress rehearsal.
  • Tuesday morning started with a message from a respected musician about my solo performance in Sunday evening's Night of Worship. I had already received many compliments and knew that I had played well. Compliments are never the goal of a performance, but they are also nice to hear. This message was particularly moving because although it included a statement about the quality of playing, it was largely focused on the "sincerity and worshipful spirit" of the solo. That is the attitude I always want to portray when participating in a worship service; it was nice to hear that it had come through.
  • Saturday morning was a most excellent day! I spent most of the morning in my pajamas, resting at the end of the week and preparing for what promises to be an intense few days before next week's school break.
MISSES
  • I often forget that not everyone schedules their life like I do. When an event that I'm involved in appeared on my radar sooner than expected, I panicked! A few deep breaths helped before I spiraled completely out of control, but "just rolling with things" is still not one of my strengths.
  • What little practice time I have had this week has largely been devoted to the Peeters Trumpet Sonata. Have I mentioned recently how much I dislike trying to play this piece? I'd rather see the Stevens or Hindemith sonatas any day!
  • I love having new ideas that inspire me. I hate realizing that I am simply too busy at the moment to follow the rabbit holes that my interests are currently taking me down. Luckily, I know that this situation will change before too much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment