Wednesday, October 5, 2016

As iron sharpens iron....

Proverbs 27:17 states "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." (NLT) Over the years, I have been blessed to be surrounded by godly men who have been my friends and mentors. They have encouraged me in times of trials and spoken truth into my life that I didn't always want to hear at the moment. Still, I knew that their words of wisdom and correction were always intended for my good.

While having lunch with my pastor last week, I began to reflect on the men who have sharpened me over the years. These were never men who appeared in my life for a short time; they made a commitment to walk with me for the long haul. That meant that trust was built and that they would have the right to speak honestly without feeling the need to edit themselves. I'm just beginning to build this type of relationship with Pastor Jason and other men in the Plainview area, but the memories of the good that has come from mentorship leads me to open my heart to new possibilities.

While I had men who discipled me through my early years, it really wasn't until I attended Pepperdine that I truly began to understand mentorship. Men like Scott Lambert, Hung Le, and Randy Gill taught me what it meant to be a godly man in all areas of my life and to seek ways to honor God through my music, life, and service. It was also here that I met peers who could speak openly and honestly into the dark areas of my life. Andy Power, Jon Jones, Mike Cohn, and Jason Wall made a greater difference in my life than they probably fully realize.

Graduate school brought me back to Memphis and the opportunity to serve in vocational ministry. Robbie Wier was not only my pastor and supervisor; he quickly became a trusted friend and advisor. Like any relationship, we had our ups and downs, but I'm happy to say that we weathered the storms together and continue to enjoy a growing friendship when we are together. I could go on and tell you about men like Robert Gordon and Chris Mathews that have poured into my life and ministry; I became a better man because of their influence and love.

I will always be a student. There will always be things that need to be corrected in my life. I hope to continue to be blessed with spiritual and professional mentors. I also pray that I will be aware when opportunities present themselves to pass the lessons I have learned along the journey to another generation of men who are striving to follow Christ in all that they do and say.

No comments:

Post a Comment