Wednesday, April 20, 2016

What Are Your Hobbies?


 
A few days ago, I was having lunch with some friends and colleagues when the topic of hobbies came up. Those with me shared their passion for coin collection and cars. When the question came to me, I stumbled a bit before responding with the joke of "sleeping." Someone commented that blogging could definitely be considered one of my hobbies, but it got me to thinking about the non-musical activities that I enjoy that are my hobbies. Here is the list I came up with when I asked myself this question.

  • Reading. When things aren't crazy at school, I really enjoy settling into an oversized chair with a good book. I try to maintain a reading schedule during the school year, but the pace is much slower and I simply do not allow myself to become engrossed in a book. Most of the time, I find myself reading contemporary fiction -- authors Brad Thor and Jodi Picoult are favorites -- with the occasional classic novel sprinkled in. I'm finding myself enjoying memoirs more and more, especially when they are about great books or an individual's reading adventures. I'm also fascinated with the WWII era....historical novels and memoirs from that time period are always a hit.
  • Television. I know it's often mindless programming, but it's also very relaxing after a hard day of rehearsing and performing. Since childhood, I've always been a fan of game shows. During the summer, it is not surprising to find me watching hours of old shows on Game Show Network. Currently, Jeopardy and Hollywood Game Night are two of my favorites. I'm also a sucker for an intriguing dramatic series. Don't bother trying to contact me if it's time for Scandal, Nashville, or How to Get Away with Murder. I won't acknowledge you exist until the program has ended and I've had my weekly fix. When my series diet is stalled after the season finales, I turn to my DVD. I'm especially fond of Lost, Desperate Housewives, and The west Wing. During the summer (mainly), I supplement my viewing with Reality TV. My niece and I have detailed conversations during Big Brother each summer. I'm also an occasional viewer of Survivor and Top Chef.
  • Movies. I don't get to go to the theater as often as I would like -- it takes so much effort to get there in time for the previews -- but it's definitely an activity I turn to when I'm feeling most stressed. I am much more likely to watch a drama than a "stupid" comedy. Every once in a while, I'll go for an action flick....as long as there is not too much blood involved. (In case you didn't figure it out -- horrors are a "no go" for me.) I'm never sure about the latest thriller; I enjoy the suspense on one hand, but I'm never a fan of the jolting surprise that results in me jumping in my seat.

Those are the main things that occupy my time. When I have extended amounts of free time, there are a few other things that I turn to for entertainment. I wish I had more time for them, but enjoy them when I can.

  • Road trips! All of my college buddies know that I'm the first one willing to hop in the car and hit the open road. Anyone ready for a trip to Vegas? I'll drive....or meet you there!
  • Cross stitching. What began as a way to keep my fingers moving after a childhood surgery became a hobby I continue to enjoy. My only problem is that I'm never able to finish the projects in the amount of time I have available.....because I don't like the simple little projects. The bigger they are -- and more complicated -- the more likely I am to dive into them. The more likely they will never get finished too....but that's another story!
  • Board games and jigsaw puzzles. I love sitting around a table with friends while playing a game or solving a problem. I suppose it's a result of being the last child in my family -- that was more like being an only child than anything (there's 10 years separating me and my nearest sibling).
  • Shopping. You can't always tell by looking at me, but I do enjoy shopping. It's not really clothing that I'm after though. I like to go to bookstores -- old and new -- and see what treasures I can uncover. I'm obsessed with home goods too -- one of the reasons I really hope to get into a house eventually instead of my tiny apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment