Monday, April 18, 2016

Hits and Misses (April 10-16)


Here's a look back at the week that was.......

HITS
  • This week looked as though it was going to be a very busy week of playing for me, so I was very happy to see that I had no midweek rehearsals this week. Most weeks I enjoy these short commitments in the middle of the week with my church family at College Heights, but when things are going crazy at school....the break is nice. (I'm just wondering if EVERYONE freely admitted that they didn't have rehearsals this week -- or just managed to use the standing commitment to avoid other rehearsals. Things that make you go "hmmmm....")
  • This week brought the return of more instrumental collaboration to my life. Vocal collaboration will always be my passion, but I do have a blast getting to play with instrumentalists as well. I've been doing a lot of work with clarinet and trumpet recently. I've got several works with trombone and euphonium coming up. That must mean that the end of the semester is just around the corner!
  • The absolute highlight of the week was having Natalie Bergeron in town for a few days. It was a joy to get to collaborate with her once again and to play while she coached a number of our WBU students. I think the students learned a lot from her and really enjoyed having her around.
  • Since Natalie was in town, I got to spend several evenings with the Browns as well. Who knew four people could laugh so much? It felt like we were in school again (even though we did miss Joe and Jenny!) The four of us enjoyed several meals together and got to attend the world premiere of The Incident at Burro Java here in Plainview. It's really been a great week that reminded me how blessed I am with great friends.
MISSES
  • As the crazy week wound down, I momentarily forgot how to read a calendar. Thankfully, one commitment was easily rescheduled. Another student gently reminded me of our scheduled rehearsal that I was able to fit into the day......but if he had not mentioned it, I would have completely forgotten about it.
  • I was on my way out the door Friday night when I realized I did not have my keys in my pocket. As I turned to catch the door, a gust of wind blew through. The door slammed shut -- my keys clearly visible through the window. My landlord was not happy to get my call -- he is not a happy man most of the time -- but came over to let me back in despite his disposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment