Friday, April 15, 2016

Too Many Ideas!


Growing up, my mother seemed to constantly tell me that my brain never stops. I have always been imaginative, coming up with new ideas and projects on a regular basis. My creativity is one of the aspects of my personality that I am most proud of. It can also get me into trouble occasionally. As I come up with more and more ideas, it can become challenging to distinguish between what is a thought worthy of pursuing further and a really bad concept that needs to find its way to file thirteen. So I tend to find myself starting lots of projects that remain incomplete -- because I have gotten distracted by another "brilliant" idea along the way.

Since I am fully aware of this blessing/curse that exists in my life, I -- along with other people -- often wonder why I let myself fall into this trap so often. I think the answer is pretty simple. I'm interested in a lot of things and I only want to spend my time on those projects that are most fulfilling. While serving in ministry, I was quickly labeled the "idea guy" of our small leadership team. I was encouraged to dream up new ideas and then we would begin to flesh things out in the safety of a small, non-judgmental group. If we determined that an idea was worth bringing to life, I would be involved in the early stages of development. However, everyone on the team knew that my involvement in most of these projects would fade as we got closer to the execution date -- because I was beginning to dream up new ideas. The dreamer in me was fulfilled; the perfectionist who always wanted to have his fingers on the controls was often frustrated.

Over the years, I have tried repeatedly to get a handle on the reins of my dreaming mind. I would always become frustrated when a great idea fell through the cracks until some wayward comment would ignite the concept again. Occasionally I would find myself hanging onto a single idea in my brain that simply would not go away while trying to develop other projects. I have finally adopted a simple method of handling all of these ideas in a way that keeps my brain clear while ensuring that I don't forget anything I want to revisit later.

I use a simple file folder that is labeled "Ideas." It is essentially a catch-all folder, filled with random scraps of paper, napkins, post-its....whatever is on hand in the moment to jot down an idea. As ideas develop into larger projects, they are expanded into a larger file devoted exclusively to that project. This allows me the flexibility to move between "great ideas" without the fear of forgetting what I have already done and keeps my active projects before my eyes at all times. When I'm ready for a new project or I feel as though the creative juices are dry, I return to my "Ideas" file to see if anything grabs my attention. It has recently been a very positive way of managing my life; a note from several years ago sparked a new idea in one of my current on-going projects.....and now I have new energy to continue the process.

I love personal organization (as you can probably see from this post). How do you personally manage your inspiring ideas? Do you have any secrets for making sure projects are completed in a timely manner without experiencing burnout? I'd love to learn from your personal experiences, so please share your experiences in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment