Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Easter Egg Hunting

As a child, Easter was always an exciting day. It signaled the end of cold weather. It suggested that summer vacation was quickly approaching. The day's events were very predictable too. My family would attend church together before the kids would participate in the annual egg hunt. In addition to colorfully dyed eggs, there were plastic eggs filled with money to be found. The lucky golden egg would lead to a chocolate bunny prize....the perfect recipe for an Easter afternoon sugar rush!

Once I survived the torture of an afternoon family meal, I began the process of begging and pleading for someone to take my stash of Easter eggs and hide them again. The only stipulation was that the eggs had to be hidden really well so I would have to work very hard to find them.

Did I mention that I was not terribly good at finding Easter eggs? Inevitably, no one would remember how many eggs were hidden or where they had all been hidden. I always managed to miss one or two eggs. Frantic conversations would follow.....Did you find the one in the tree? What about the one next to the rock? In the drainage pipe? After we had exhausted our memory, we convinced ourselves that we had retrieved all of the eggs.....until our noses helped us locate the forgotten treasures in the next few days. What a stink!

This year, Easter won't include an egg hunt in the front yard. But it will always include fond memories of searches for hidden treasures. Thankfully, the greatest treasures of those Easter afternoons were the memories that I now hold in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment