Monday, April 13, 2015

Hits and Misses (April 5-11)

Here's a look back at the week that was....

HITS
  • Easter Sunday was a great day. Morning worship was beautiful and an awesome reminder of the blessings we have because Christ is risen! After church, I came home to find Mom finishing preparations for lunch with the family. There was a ton of laughter and plenty of good food.
  • After all of the spring holidays, it was nice to get back to a normal routine for classes. At least the routine was GOING to be normal until.....
MISSES
  • I returned home from a long day of lessons and rehearsals on Wednesday evening. I discovered a dead wasp in the floor just before stepping on it. While disposing of the insect, I realized there was another one in the room. This intruder was a kamikaze. I was extremely tired and ready for bed, but I knew I had to kill the wasp. When the wasp finally settled at the base of the wall next to my bed, I grabbed a nearby shoe to kill him. My family has a history of horrible reactions to stings; I am terrified of wasps and was not going to take a chance. So the shoe headed toward the buzzing nuisance with lots of velocity. The wasp didn't stand a chance! Neither did my right hand as it smashed into the unmoving wall. The pain was immediate; after applying an ice pack, I knew I would need an x-ray the following morning to check for internal damage. Thankfully, the doctor detected no breaks or fractures....just some swelling and bruising along the side of my hand.
  • A hurt hand is no fun for anyone. I have never grown so tired of watching television so quickly. My frustration grew as the doctor informed me that I would require at least four days of total rest from the piano to allow my hand to recuperate. That has to be the most difficult part of the recovery process! I was miserable cancelling rehearsals that needed to happen. Teaching piano lessons without the use of my right hand was much more difficult than I had anticipated. My hand is healing, but I know that I'll have to ease into the playing for the next few days....but I know my pinkie will tell me when I'm pushing too hard. Wowsers!
  • As though the scare with my hand wasn't bad enough, on Friday morning I was awakened from a deep sleep at 3:30am by a back spasm. It sucks getting old! Most of the weekend was terribly uncomfortable as I hobbled around like a duck with a wounded wing. I'm just thankful there weren't any video cameras recording the comedy!
PROGRESS REPORT
  • Great Expectations  - p. 116 of 466 (21 pages this week) - I couldn't hold the book.....
  • Midnight by Elizabeth Miller - p. 146 of 326 (146 pages this week) - .....so I resorted to using an e-reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment