Monday, April 6, 2015

Hits and Misses (March 29-April 4)

Here's my weekly look back at the week that was....

HITS
  • Spring Break was a very welcome week of rest. Even though I still had responsibilities with my online class, it wasn't too much work. I enjoyed a week that didn't involve a long commute and several days of rest for my hands and mind.
  • Even though I was "resting," I did enjoy getting in some practice on solo repertoire for the first time in quite sometime. Nothing is performance ready, but it was very enjoyable to get back to the music that started this entire journey for me. I really do love sitting at my piano and playing the music of the masters of Western Art music.
  • By the middle of the week, I thought I needed to apply for dog tags! When I finally got in to get my hair cut, I felt like I had lost several pounds of extra weight from my head. It's a sad situation when you are too busy to get your hair cut. Wow!
  • Since one of my young piano students had missed her lesson for the third week in a row, I decided this was a great opportunity to explore teaching a lesson on Face Time. I had my apprehensions, but once I got into the session things actually went much smoother that I anticipated. I'm not ready to begin teaching virtual lessons exclusively, but I'm realizing that technology can be used effectively in private music instruction. I'm anxious to try it out in other situations in the near future.
MISSES
  • Completing job applications is a necessity when you're in the job hunt. As much as I want a job, I'm willing to apply for any that are posted at this point. It's still not what I wanted to spend my vacation doing...but the applications are completed anyway.
  • I'm still struggling with the new wrist braces I'm sleeping in now. The extra pillow inside puts my hand in a different alignment, so I find myself needing to do a little more warming up when I get out of bed than I have been doing in the past. This could also be associated with the aging process, but for right now, I'm going to continue to attribute it to the wrist braces. (Hey, I've got to stay young as long as possible, right?)

PROGRESS REPORT
  • Menahem Pressler - p. 282 of 282. COMPLETE!
  • Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - p. 95 of 466
 

No comments:

Post a Comment