Monday, December 8, 2014

Hits and Misses (November 30-December 6)

It's time to take a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • Finals are over! Well....for the most part, anyway. I still have to administer one more piano exam, but things are winding down and grades are almost ready to be turned in. It's been an exceptional week of performances as well. The last departmental recital featured a strong performance of the Saint-Saens violin concerto and the week ended with successful voice boards at Union. 
  • Since the semester is almost over, I'm getting to learn new music in preparation for spring recitals. I'm most excited about some of the violin repertoire I'll be learning -- featuring works by Brahms and Bartok. 
  • This week has been tech week for the Christmas production at First Marion. As a result, I've gotten to meet some new people. It's been wonderful to talk to other performers who share a common goal.
  • I received an unexpected gift this week as well. These surprise presents are always sure to put a smile on the face of whoever receives them. Just remembering how great the token of appreciation made me feel makes me want to do the same for someone else.
MISSES
  • Tech week of any show is never easy. This year was a bit different for me since I was enduring the challenges without being in a position to fix anything. It was tough at times to keep my mouth shut and allow the directors over me to do their jobs. (I smiled to myself as I remembered the many times over the years that I have appreciated when casts and choirs have simply let me direct my vision. It was a privilege to return that favor to others this time....even if I did have to bite my tongue occasionally.)
  • On Saturday, I made a quick stop for dinner at Macaroni Grill. I'm not sure why, but the food quality was not good! The restaurant has overhauled the entire menu and the results were not impressive to me. I won't be returning for quite some time.
  • Now that the craziness of school is settling down, it's necessary to return to a to-do list. The list is massive and includes several projects that I have simply put off. Some of them are pressing; others are merely things that need to get done. I found that not going through the weekly process of writing things down resulted in pushing EVERYTHING out of sight (and out of mind). Now it's time to get the real work done again.
There you have it. Tune in later this week for the first of several Year-in-Review posts....featuring the good, the bad, and the ugly!

No comments:

Post a Comment