Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Getting into the Holiday Spirit

December is finally here! That means it's time to get into the holiday spirit and let the Christmas party get under way! How do I get my Christmas spirit started? My personal sound track changes to Christmas music and I watch as many Christmas movies as I possibly can. Because I want to help any of you would-be Scrooges to get in the holiday mood (yeah, I'm talkin' to you!), here are a couple of this year's new finds that I think you might enjoy.

As far as music goes, I was pleasantly surprised by David Phelps's Christmas album, O Holy Night. As part of the Gaither Gospel Series, I was impressed with the variety of music presented. As always, Phelps's voice is impressive in the upper register. Personally, I don't enjoy the renditions of "Blue Christmas" (because I hate the song) and "Ave Maria" (because I'm a purist when it comes to my Schubert). However, there are several tracks that are quite enjoyable -- most notably the title track -- and speaks to the true meaning of the season.

My movie viewing this year has not included the classics yet. (I have to admit that I have never seen It's a Wonderful Life and fully intend to rectify that issue this season.) My mother has turned me into a Hallmark Channel "Countdown to Christmas" junkie. It truly is an addiction....and I may need an intervention. I started watching the holiday movies on Halloween night and have been going ever since. If you're not a fan of the Hallmark Channel, let me point you to a few of the best new offerings they have provided so far this year.  One Starry Christmas, Christmas Under Wraps, and Angels and Ornaments have been my favorites so far. (I've heard amazing things about North Pole as well, but I've not caught an airing of the film yet.) Of the older films that the network is also airing this season, I highly recommend Angels Sing (with Connie Britton and Harry Connick, Jr.) and Christmas with Holly.

My advice to you is simply this....do whatever it takes to put yourself in the spirit of Christmas. It's important that we be reminded of the importance of giving and receiving, love, joy, and peace as we celebrate the Perfect Gift that God sent that we might have the hope of joy and peace because of the love of Jesus.

Merry Christmas!
Kennith

No comments:

Post a Comment