Monday, December 29, 2014

Hits and Misses (December 21-27)

On this final Monday morning of 2014, it's time to take a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • The week got off to a good start with a successful offertory on Sunday morning at First Marion. I played an arrangement of Rejoice Greatly for trumpet and piano. I was a little nervous since I had pieced it together in a matter of days, but things went well. It's always nice when you get complimented on your playing throughout the week that follows, too.
  • Christmas was a special day with family as we got to exchange some exciting gifts with each other. 
  • On Christmas Day, Jacqs and I decided to take on a book challenge in 2015. The plan is to read a book together each month.  We'll alternate who chooses each month's selection and the goal is to each choose three classics and three modern works. I picked January's selection.....Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. What was I thinking?
  • I have been blessed with a few days of restful sleep now that the holidays are over and I don't have pressing responsibilities that have to have my immediate attention.
  • I'm enjoying reading Professional Piano Teaching by Jeanine Jacobson right now. It's basically a pedagogy textbook with emphasis on the teaching of elementary students. I'm working through it rather methodically so I can glean as much information as possible.
  • It's surprising, but I haven't had a working CD player at home for several years now. Since I'm rarely home, it hasn't been too big of an issue. On Saturday, I decided to correct that issue though. It's not the machine that I ultimately plan to keep, but it will suffice for the moment.
MISSES
  • It has been a challenging week with the return of issues related to my neck and shoulder injury. I can never predict when the pain will appear, but it certainly effects everything I try to do.
  • Every year, I order a Christmas ham from Holiday Ham and Turkey in Memphis. I have to place a special order due to Mom's allergy to honey. By now I should be used to it, but EVERY YEAR I have to wait for nearly 20 minutes while a ham is prepared without the glaze. This year, I was told that my unglazed ham had been given to someone else. What I'm wondering is if you happened to just give away a pre-ordered unglazed ham, DON'T YOU THINK YOU MIGHT NEED TO REPLACE IT?!?!?!!?!?!?! It's frustrating....but I'm over it now.
  • On Christmas morning, my lovely mother came to my room at 7:30am to make sure
    everything was okay. I assured her I was fine and turned over to go back to sleep. At 8am, she returned to find out if I was ready to open Christmas gifts since she had just heard me up playing the piano (I guess I'm so good now that I'm playing in my sleep from the comfort of my bed!). I knew that the rest of the family was not scheduled to arrive until late that morning, so we were in no rush. Needless to say, I rolled out of bed, opened my single package (which I had selected) and tried to go back to sleep on the couch. The geriatrics are losing it, folks!
  • Nothing is more frustrating than heading out to the stores to find that the item you need is not in stock!
  • I'm still fighting this sinus/chest crud and feeling rather crummy. I was especially thrilled to receive an email telling me that the pharmacy was out of the decongestant the doctor had prescribed. When I called Walgreen's to find out what my options were, I was shocked to hear the voice on the other end explain that there had been a mistake......and they could fill the prescription since I clearly intended to pick it up. SMH! Huh?
There you have it.  I hope you all have a great ending to your year and enjoy the beginning of 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment