Thursday, April 11, 2013

Misery Loves Company

Everyone has problems. It's simply a fact of life. The truth of the matter though is that "misery loves company." Admit it.....you know it's true!

Now before you begin condemning me, understand where I'm coming from. While it's true that "hurt people hurt people" (that's not a typo...read it again and grasp the truth of that statement), that's not what I am intending. I don't want other people to suffer just because I am. However, I do find comfort in knowing that I'm not the ONLY person suffering. Misery loves company. It's strangely encouraging to hear that other people find themselves in difficult situations as well....especially when we both see the humor in the situation.

Why has this thought come to mind now? Earlier this week I posted about the drama of trying to fix the Geriatric Ward's thermostat only to learn that the system was heating the house instead of cooling it. The culprit who had turned on the heat? My Dad. The next day, I got a message from a friend that her geriatric patient mother was driving her bonkers as well. It brought a smile to my face to hear it. We weren't being mean; we were laughing about the situation. But we both knew that misery was DEFINITELY enjoying company! Since we are both caring for aging parents, Tiff and I jokingly said that we should write a joint blog called "Tales from the Geriatric Ward." The more I think about it though, the more I think it might be a really good idea. Hmmmm........

I don't want to hear that your problems are worse than mine. I don't want to participate in a pity party for either of us. I simply find it humorous when we begin to share stories together. When we laugh at each other's situations -- and the laughter is tempered with legitimately good natured feelings -- our spirits begin to soar and we realize that weeping doesn't last forever. Things will get better. We'll finally learn to find the humor in the most frustrating situations. It's just much easier to face a difficult or trying situation when I know that I have a friend walking through a similar situation with me. After all, misery loves company!

No comments:

Post a Comment