Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Bearer of Bad News

No one likes receiving bad news. We spend so much effort trying to avoid its negative effects. Giving bad news is not much better. Yesterday, I had to inform a person that what they had hoped would be the outcome of a specific situation would not be happening. I've known for a few weeks that this conversation was going to have to happen. I wasn't looking forward to it and was hoping the situation would work itself out. Was I at fault? No, the failure was solely the result of the individual's bad choices. I simply didn't want to have to be the bearer of bad news.

I suppose that's a weakness on my part. I will do anything possible to avoid conflict. Sometimes that means I'll allow uncomfortable situations to continue unresolved in the hope that they will simply go away. At other times, I will become a victim of another's verbal or emotional abuse rather than explain why things are not going to happen as they had hoped. More often than not, both situations end up with me tied up in knots, emotionally worn down and so annoyed that I'm not doing anyone any good. Even though I know this is going to be the result, I tend to opt for personal discomfort over conversing with a person with whom I'm in conflict.

I'm tired of it. I'm tired of being miserable because I'm afraid that I might hurt someone's feelings. My feelings are just as important. My emotional health is worth protecting -- even if I have to give some bad news. I won't accept responsibility for the bad news -- especially when it's not the result of my actions -- and will simply give the information, allow the other individual to deal with it as they see fit, and let the chips fall where they may. It will definitely be a lot less stressful than keeping it all bottled up inside in an effort to keep everyone else happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment