Saturday, January 1, 2011

The New Year is Off and Running

Things have gotten off to quite a start in 2011.  Like most holidays, New Year's Day meant that my family gathered in Crawfordsville for food, conversation, and laughter.  We have never been terribly fond of the whole cabbage and hog jowl menu, so we don't participate in that tradition.  On Christmas day, we decided it would be fun to have a menu of new recipes that we haven't tried before.  So that's what we did.  Some were successes;  others need some revisions.

Our holiday table featured jambalaya, butter schnitzel with mushroom sauce, roasted potatoes, black-eyed peas, HUGE dinner rolls and creme brulee.  Schnitzel was a huge hit;  I don't think it would be considered "authentic" though since it was dredged pork.  It was the Cajun dish, though, that had tears rolling down our faces -- not from sadness, but from heat.  The flavor was great.  Our tongues (and stomachs) are still burning from the fire.  We're still trying to decide whether it was the hot sauce, red pepper flakes, or the Cajun seasoning that is the culprit.  Regardless, the Freeman family is breathing easy going into 2011 as our sinuses have all been cleared by the fiery jambalaya!

Resolutions are being made as well.  There is much as a family that we would like to accomplish and I am making my own list as well.  I am opting to make my resolutions over the course of this first week, however.  I feel the need to be thoughtful and prayerful about the goals and dreams I set for this year.  I have no fear going into the New Year, though, because I already know that the Author of my Salvation is already there and that He has good plans for me.  I'm just anxious to see exactly what it is He has in store for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment