Thursday, January 13, 2011

Revisiting a Childhood Favorite

In just a few weeks, I will begin rehearsing with the cast of Germantown High School's production of The Secret Garden.  I have mixed emotions about the musical for various reasons.  I have read the book that the show is based upon and have always loved it.  However, I always thought that it was a bit dark and could not imagine how effective it would be as a musical.  Additionally, only a few songs of the score ever grabbed my attention -- specifically "Lily's Eyes" and "How Could I Ever Know."

This will be the first musical I will be involved with since my undergraduate work in which I will simply be a rehearsal pianist.  Since that time, I have always had a leadership role and have normally served as the musical director.  This will be an interesting experience to play a show without having the responsibility of shaping the musical direction of the show.  Honestly, I'm looking forward to getting back to my roots at the keyboard without carrying such a heavy burden.

I picked up the score yesterday and have begun the process of learning the music before going to the rehearsals in two weeks.  The students are already learning the vocals and the choreography.  When I come in, I will be playing as they begin to put the disparate parts of the show together.  Since the only thing I know at this point is that we are working on Act I on the first night, I just have to learn all the notes of the show.  I must admit that I was rather surprised today as I realized how many of the pieces are rather difficult reductions for the piano.  I knew there would be a few passages here and there, but this show is simply tough to play!  I will have my hands full for the next few weeks, but I am looking forward to the challenge and the experience....and who can complain about the extra money and the prospect of future gigs with the high school.  Lots of fun days are ahead at the piano as I prepare for my first night with The Secret Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment