Monday, January 10, 2011

Come In From the Cold

I have lived in the South all my life with the exception of 7 1/2 glorious years in southern California.  I am used to winter in the Memphis area.  Things are considered cold when the temperature dips into the low 40's and we might see a dusting of snow annually.  My friends around the country laugh when I tell them that we shut down the entire world when there is 1 inch of snow on the ground!

Imagine my surprise when I encountered this outside my front door:


The photos were taken later in the morning since I had nothing on the agenda for today, but local reports state that my little burg received 4-5 inches of snow last night.  Those further south (around Oxford, Mississippi) are dealing with 10 inches!  It's beautiful and thankfully there is not a layer of ice hidden underneath.

Since the temperature struggled to rise above freezing today, I determined to sit in the house most of the day and have a fitting snow day!  That consisted of some practicing for an upcoming recital, lots of reading, and catching up on some television.  My single adventure of the day was stepping outside to take these photos before driving to Mom's office to bring her home for lunch.

Sadly, the snow didn't come while I was in school.  I don't report for classes until next Tuesday, so the white stuff didn't mean an extra day of vacation for me.....BOO HOO!  That just means I need to start doing the snow dance again in a few days to see if we can get another round of this later in the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment