Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 in Review - The Final Chapter

It's getting late on New Year's Eve and my eyes are starting to get heavy.  I'm fighting to keep my eyes open for the ball drop, but we'll have to see if I can make it or not.  In the mean time, let's take a look at the final few resolutions and how I did with them in the year 2010.

8. Journal at least twice each week.  Believe it or not, this actually happened most weeks in some guise.  For the first half of the year, I was journaling constantly.  I took some time earlier today to scan some of those entries and am thankful that they are not meant for public consumption!  In May, however, I turned my attention to blogging.  The rest of the year became a mix of public blogs and private journal entries.  I am thrilled with the outcome and I'm looking forward to more blogging in the coming year.....I just hope you find my random discourses as entertaining to read as I do.

9.  Complete one cross-stitch project.  I am so close to accomplishing this goal but will sadly fall short of completing it before the year 2010 comes to a close.  If December had not been such a hectic month and I had gotten just one more day of quality stitching in, I would have made it.  Much of today has been spent frantically back stitching the current piece, but my eyes just became too heavy to continue.  Although I have not been stitching all year, I have realized again how relaxing the repetitive process is to me.  I hope that I will seize opportunities for needlework in the coming year once again.

10.  Read 52 books.  This is the second year this goal has been on the table and once again I missed the goal significantly.  Sadly, I didn't make any improvement on the total of 38 books that I read in 2009.  The grand total for 2010 comes to 29 books read.  This is yet another resolution that will reappear in 2011.  One of these years, I'll meet that goal.  For those of you interested, here is the list of books I read during the year. (Parenthetical dates indicate when they were completed.)

1.  Redefining Children's Ministry in the 21st Century:  A Call for Radical Change - Becky Fischer (1/5/10)
2.  The Concubine's Daughter - Pai Kit Fai (1/15/10)*****
3.  The Unmotivated Child:  Helping Your Underachiever Become a Successful Student - Natalie Rathvon (1/21/10)
4.  The Rest of Her Life - Laura Moriarty (2/4/10)
5.  Basketball Jones - E. Lynn Harris (2/9/10)
6.  Still Alice - Lisa Genova (2/24/10)
7.  The Magician's Nephew - C. S. Lewis (2/28/10)
8.  The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis (3/5/10)
9.  House Rules - Jodi Picoult (3/18/10)*****
10. The Horse and His Boy - C.S. Lewis (3/27/10)
11.  Deeper Water - Robert Whitlow (4/5/10)
12.  Higher Hope - Robert Whitlow (5/6/10)
13.  Look Again - Lisa Scottoline (5/25/10) *****
14.  The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom (5/30/10)
15.  The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer (6/2/10)
16.  Greater Love - Robert Whitlow (6/13/10)
17.  The Unlikely Disciple:  A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University - Kevin Roose (6/24/10)
18.  Broken on the Back Row - Sandy Patty (7/13/10)
19.  Home Safe - Elizabeth Berg (7/20/10)
20.  The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender (8/2/10)
21.  American Wife - Curtis Sittenfeld (9/30/10) *****
22.  Every Last One - Anna Quindlen (10/9/10)
23.  The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown (11/10/10)
24.  The Tenth Circle - Jodi Picoult (11/21/10)
25.  The Choice - Nicholas Sparks (12/10/10) *****
26.  The Perfect Christmas - Debbie Macomber (12/18/10)
27.  Cast of Characters  - Max Lucado (12/22/10)
28.  The Real Mary:  Why Evangelical Christians Can Embrace the Mother of Jesus - Scot McKnight (12/26/10)
29.  My Name is Mary Sutter - Robin Oliveira (12/31/10)

2010 is now officially in the history books.  I have been blessed beyond measure.  I have been forsaken by some who called me friend.  I have learned lessons about my own strength and character.  I have no regrets, but I do look forward to the New Year and all the possibilities that it brings with it.  I pray that you have a healthy, prosperous, blessed 2011!

Kennith

No comments:

Post a Comment