Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Micromanagement



Earlier this week, I experienced one of the most frustrating cases of micromanagement I have ever seen in my professional career. Before any of you begin to guess who the offending manager was, let me clearly state that most of you are not acquainted with this individual unless you are involved with my work in eastern Arkansas. Without going into details – because I really don't need to rehash them – let it suffice to say that this excessive involvement in my performance on the job was unnecessary, condescending, and insulting. Once I settled down and the smoke ceased to pour from my ears, I began to think of the message that micromanagement sends to those involved and why it is such a pet peeve of mine.

First, micromanagement suggests a lack of confidence in the employee's abilities. If an employer has hired an individual for a job, it is assumed that the person has the skills necessary to perform the required task. When an employer begins to tediously examine each step the employee makes, the employee's self-confidence is negatively affected and he ceases to be self-motivated and proactive. I am not suggesting that an employer should not supervise and follow-up on assigned tasks. What I take issue with is when I am given an assignment and then a supervisor sits over my shoulder while I perform the task – constantly emphasizing that I do not know what I am doing or I am not doing the job the way SHE would do it. If the process is that important, include the prescribed procedure in the task assignment and get out of the way! I can become a much more valuable member of your team without your constant presence in my shadow.

Secondly, employers who micromanage show that they are threatened by the success and abilities of those they supervise. These individuals are power seekers who do not have the confidence in their own skill set to surround themselves with talented individuals. When they encounter people who are extremely talented in their given field, the micromanager sets out to undermine the success of the one who threatens their prestige. Public appearance is of the utmost importance to the micromanager.

Lastly, micromanagers are often facing their own ineffectiveness. Sadly, many people who find themselves in positions of leadership do not exhibit the charisma or interpersonal skills to lead a group of intelligent individuals. Their excessive management is an attempt to give the false appearance that they were intricately involved in the successful project's completion. Talented employees that find themselves under the direct supervision of the micromanager are quick to begin looking for fulfilling work opportunities at locations that allow them to fully exhibit their skills without interference from management.

No comments:

Post a Comment