Monday, December 5, 2016

Hits & Misses (Nov 27 - Dec 3)

Here's a look back at the week that was....

HITS
  • Christmas is in the air! I have always loved this season. Decorations are appearing everywhere. Houses are adorned with twinkling lights and joyful sounds fill the air. It means that I'll get to celebrate the birth of Christ with family very soon. Since it's Christmas time, that means .....
  • I'm getting to reconnect with friends through carol videos. Last year, I accepted the challenge to post a Christmas carol arrangement each day of the holiday season. What was birthed in simplicity -- and really intended for my family -- grew to a larger audience. I'm repeating the project this year and truly having fun. I'm hearing from friends around the world as they use my videos to assist them in their family celebrations. As the daily posts are being shared around Facebook, I'm also meeting new people who love Christmas as much as I do. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would share the sounds of the holidays with such a large virtual. When I get frustrated with the recording process, I try to remember the fun of sharing the music.
  • On Friday afternoon, I had the opportunity to judge the concerto competition of the Youth Orchestra of Lubbock. I heard some really talented young musicians and met some fine educators as well. I hope to have a chance to continue developing this relationship with YOL.
MISSES
  • I've fought with cold showers much of the week. My hot water heater was on the fritz and we simply couldn't seem to get it fixed. Whatever the problem was, I finally got to enjoy a hot shower on Thursday afternoon....and my mood immediately improved as a result.
  • Why did it take so long to fix the water? Poor communication! I called my landlord as soon as the problem occurred. He never called me back to tell me the repair had been made.....and that's where the problem ensued. I was attempting to be understanding and patient. I assumed he was having difficulty getting a plumber to see what was going on. When I called again on Thursday to ask about the repairs, he told me they had already been made.....on Tuesday! When he learned that the problem continued, he apologized profusely. I chuckled when I got a voice mail from him later that afternoon telling me the repair had been made and to call him immediately when I got home if there was still a problem. Oh well....lesson learned.
  • In the midst of the cold water issues, I felt like I was meeting myself coming and going. I simply couldn't get my stuff together. I was repeatedly asked if I was angry.....I suppose I know now that cold showers don't do much for my disposition. Here's hoping that the new week will bring a more manageable schedule and a better appearance of joy on my demeanor.

No comments:

Post a Comment