Monday, December 12, 2016

Hits and Misses (Dec 4-10)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • The piano students from the Talkington School in Lubbock came for their second annual visit this week. With a year under our belts, we were a little more prepared and a lot more organized. I enjoyed getting to explore careers in music with the middle school and high school students just as much as hearing them play. What a wonderful day that will hopefully lead to more recruits in the future.
  • It's easy to forget just how much I miss family dinners. After choir rehearsal on Wednesday, I headed to a local restaurant and was soon greeted by a family from my church. They invited me to sit with them. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them better as we laughed together and shared stories. Family time is certainly not something to take for granted.
  • Classes for the semester are over! You cannot fully understand how happy I am to say that -- and I know the students are as well. I can't fully put my finger on the reason, but this has been a challenging term that I'm ready to see in the rear view mirror!
  • With the end of classes comes a little more time to sit at home. That means I'm watching more Christmas movies -- yep, I'm one of those people! -- and that's getting the holiday season rolling for me. Let the holidays begin!
MISSES
  • My back has decided to give me fits this week. According to my chiropractor, the problem is in the L4-L5 region. That's causing pain in my right hip as well as traveling down my leg. Getting in the car and in bed has been interesting. My back is finally feeling better, but my leg and hip seem to be getting worse. I'll admit that I'm starting to get a little worried about things and plan to have a serious conversation with my doctor in the morning.
  • The pain has led to some restless nights. I can't lie on my right side at all. This is a problem because I only sleep on my back when I'm sick. I suppose my brain subconsciously associates back sleeping with poor rest. All I know is that I'm ready to feel normal again...and fast!
  • The pain forced me to pull the ice pack out of the freezer for the first time in several months. That is a good thing....but it also reminds me how much I hate icing my back (as well as my shoulders, neck, and arms). The ice pack suggests I need to slow down, but that's just not possible at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment