Wednesday, December 7, 2016

My Current Bible Reading Plan

I've been a Christian since childhood and have always known the importance of daily Scripture reading. For some reason, it has always been a struggle to fit it into my routine. Even though I love to read, I found myself getting bogged down in Leviticus's laws and the history of Israel's kings. I have tried several reading plans over the years, but nothing seemed to grab my attention.

Earlier this Fall, I felt desperate to connect with God's Word. Upon a friend's recommendation, I decided to commit myself to giving Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System a try for two months. That was in August, and I'm still enjoying -- and looking forward to -- diving into reading Scripture daily.

If you are not familiar with the plan, you can read about it in detail here. To briefly summarize the plan, the Bible is grouped into 10 lists. Ideally, the reader will read one chapter from each of the ten lists daily. I hear ya! That sounds intimidating, but it is actually not as daunting of a task as you might imagine. Most days, I split the reading into two 15-20 minute sittings. It's actually quite refreshing to know that this quiet time is set aside and it gives me a chance to bring my focus back to the things that are most important.

Why has this plan worked so well for me? First of all, I love its flexibility. Life happens and there are days that I simply can't find time to read the 10 chapters. When I figured out that missing a day or not completing the "entire assignment " didn't ruin the plan, my Reading found new freedom. Since there are no dates associated with the passages, I don't feel guilty because I've "gotten behind." Only have time to read 3 chapters? No problem! Read what you can, move your markers ahead, and start fresh the next day!

I also love the variety that comes with the reading. At first I thought it would be confusing since I wasn't following a storyline from beginning to end. For a young Christian, this might be a legitimate concern. But what I actually experienced was a greater understanding of how Scripture opens up in a wider sense. Last week, I was blessed as I read of the crucifixion in John before reading about the Passover in Leviticus and Messianic prophecies in the Psalms. The plan is re-enforcing in my heart and mind the truth that all Scripture is God-breathed.

How long do I plan to read this way? I don't know. It's certainly not how I study Scripture....it's just for my daily devotions. However, since starting in August, I have probably consumed more of the Bible than in any other season of my life. I've already read the entire New Testament -- and I'm getting close to finishing a second reading! And I've worked my way through the Proverbs three times while just finishing my 4th reading of Acts! The most exciting part? I'm discovering things that I never realized were sitting right on the page in front of me.

Whatever method you choose, the point of this post is simple....JUST READ! You'll be glad you did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment