Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Reflecting on Year One


Today, I'm giving the last few final exams of my first year of teaching at WBU. It's been an adventure. I've learned a lot. I've made my share of mistakes, but also had a lot of successes. What kind of reflective learner would I be if I didn't pause at the end of this year and take a look back at what I've learned.

  • I'm surrounded by awesome colleagues and students. I am reminded of this fact every day. Getting to spend time with these people and make music together is what makes going to work a pleasure most days. (Come on.....there are times we all do not want to crawl out of bed.)
  • There's less collaborative work than I anticipated (and not as much as I'm used to). I knew this would be part of the change from adjunct to full-time faculty, but I really miss getting the opportunity to have so many interactions with students in private rehearsals as well as their lessons. I'm afraid this interaction will continue to decline in the future....and I'm really not excited for that at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm wrong......
  • Year One has been all about developing relationships and finding my place in the department. Being part of the faculty is about more than merely teaching assigned classes and performing with excellence. It's about connecting with other faculty members in meaningful ways and sharing ideas. It's about making yourself available to students -- in and out of the classroom -- so you have opportunity to pour Godly counsel into their lives as often as possible. I knew from the start I didn't just want to be a teacher that was out of touch. That's why my door is often open and why Thursday nights normally include a donut run. Since I'm finally in a faculty position, I want to be just as involved in the lives of my students as my professors were during my formative college years. (Thank you, Dr. Ferguson and Dr. Baird!)
  • My schedule is extremely cyclical. There hasn't been much of a normal routine this year. Things tend to start with a bang of activity and then level off as classes get rolling. But watch out.....the craziness will return soon enough. Production week, other faculty travel schedules, and recruiting tours/events can make the schedule go from "nice and easy" to "insanely busy" in the blink of an eye. I'm just thankful that the insanity tends to be spaced out for the most part.
  • At some point, colleagues forget that you're the newbie. In most ways, it's a wonderful event. There are those occasional moments when there is an event that you haven't done before -- and no one thought to give you the scoop. That's when "wingin' it" takes on a brand new meaning....and keeps the adventure fresh and exciting.
  • All in all, Year One at WBU has just confirmed what I've already known. I'm now in the profession that I was designed for and I'm loving every minute of it!
Now.....it's time to finish up this semester and get a little rest over summer break!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dr. Freeman,

    We sure miss you at Union! About collaborative work fading, I'm not sure if you teach applied lessons to piano majors there or not; if you do, Dr. Dennis definitely pulled out a Mozart concerto for us to learn together, so that might be a possibility?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you guys as well! I do teach a few applied lessons, but none of my students are ready for a concerto yet. We're just finished working on one of the Beethoven Bagatelles this term. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete