Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Home at Last!



After a crazy few weeks bringing the semester to a close and a long drive -- not to mention that nasty accident -- I was ready to get home for a little while and enjoy some time away from Texas. Don't misunderstand me, I'm slowly learning to appreciate the Texas way of life, but it's still not home. Returning home has brought a few things to light for me.


Some things never change. At home, there is always lots of good food around (although I was disappointed to see ham steaks on the table when I arrived on Sunday -- bleh!). The thermostat will always be a source of contention. It's either warm enough to double as a sauna or you find yourself looking for a parka and hanging slabs of beef. Most importantly, home is always restful.


Some things do change -- like it or not. Since I've moved most of my belongings to Texas, things are not like they used to be when I was at home. Add to this the fact that my older brother and his wife have recently sold their house and are living in the Geriatric Ward while they find a new place and you can imagine how creative things have become. I'm currently reliving scenes from my childhood each night as I sleep on bunk beds. (I'm still waiting to wake in the night, sit up, and clock my head on the metal frame above me.) The Geriatrics have relocated to the middle bedroom (in other words, they have migrated into my part of the house) and we are sharing a bathroom. The bathroom is tiny anyway....and now three of us have our toiletries littering the limited space. Can you say "awkward?" What is probably taking the most time to get used to, however, is the piano situation. I stupidly decided to move my Boston piano to Plainview in the thought that I would do some practicing at home. I think I have probably played it once in the past nine months. After all, I have a wonderful Steinway grand piano in my office all day to work on. When I get home from a day at school, the last thing on my mind is practicing! Now when I return to Arkansas, I get to work on a Story and Clark console that I bought for my nieces several years ago. It's a horrible instrument, but it's something to work on while I'm away from Plainview. Not only do I hate the instrument, but it's location is not ideal either. It's in the family dining room -- located in the middle of the shotgun house with absolutely NO fabric in the room to absorb the sound. You can imagine what practice sessions are like!


Oh well, even though some things have changed and others have not, one very important thing is still consistently true. It's great to be at home again, surrounded by family that love and support me all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment