Monday, May 23, 2016

Hits and Misses (May 15-21)




Even though it's a little later than expected -- I'll explain why in today's "Misses" -- here's a look back at the week that was......


HITS
  • I thoroughly enjoyed returning to Union University on Tuesday to join the end of the year celebration and honor the graduating seniors. This year's graduates were some of the students that I had worked with the longest while working in Jackson. It was great to see everyone and to reconnect with some of the faculty, staff, and students that I have missed greatly.
  • This week was graduation week here in the Mid-South. It was lots of fun to see everyone's photos on Facebook as they begin the exciting new chapters in their lives. I'm a little partial and want to say "Congratulations!" to our own recent graduate; Kristian Leigh graduated from Olive Branch High School on Saturday afternoon. She will attend Mississippi State in the fall.


MISSES
  • Noisy neighbors seem to be the norm whenever I'm here at the Geriatric Ward. This time it was actually the crew that was replacing the roof on the house next door. I heard all about their sexual conquests the night before while my ears were treated to an incredibly annoying selection of music blaring from the radio settled just outside the window of our home. I took out my anger on the piano -- pounding a little Rachmaninoff and Ives. I don't think I was the only one in the neighborhood that was frustrated either; things were much quieter as they continued working the rest of the week.
  • I've never been a fan of leftovers and sandwiches. I've had more than my fair share of them this week. I'm hoping for better meals in the week ahead.
  • I despise feeling as though I am being manipulated. It's especially annoying when you are powerless to really call out what is going on.
  • As I continued to recover from the car accident, I began to worry that something else was wrong since the soreness wasn't getting any better. I made an appointment with my GP and got a good report....along with prescriptions for anti-inflammatory meds, muscle relaxers, and pain pills. On Saturday morning, I wasn't feeling well at all and knew that it would be impossible to sit in the bleachers to watch Kristian graduate...so I missed the commencement exercises. That evening, I had had enough of the pain and finally decided to take a pain pill. That was a powerful little pill! The next morning, the hangover continued and I was quite dizzy. Truthfully, my head didn't really begin to clear until late Monday morning. I knew I was a lightweight when it came to narcotics....but come on! This was insane! One thing is certain....I won't be taking another of these pills unless I am in UNBEARABLE pain. I don't like the sensation of being out of control at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment