Monday, February 2, 2015

Hits and Misses (January 25-31)

Here's a look back at the week that was....

HITS
  • I'm falling more and more in love with my church home. I still don't know a ton of people because I'm horrible with names and I've been rather slow to get involved, but that is changing rather quickly. On Sunday morning, I finally made my way into a Sunday School class and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I'm looking forward to spending more time here and getting to know this group of people better.
  • It's always refreshing to have a brainstorming session about things that you are passionate about with people who aren't afraid to dream big. Nothing is too extravagant and impossible. After dreaming, we all step back individually and look at things a little more rationally.....and that's where exciting plans are made.
  • What a relief to finally have all of my tax reports done for 2014. I wish I could say the returns were done, but since I don't actually complete the forms, that's not my celebration. As much as I hate to give my money away, all of the laws impacting a contracted musician require me to have a professional take the lead in this.
  • This week I've been reminded how fortunate I am to have incredibly supportive supervisors that trust my instincts, willingly listen to my concerns, offer insightful opinions, and respect me as a professional. These are incredible gifts in themselves that I don't take lightly.
  • On Saturday, I encountered a piano student's parents who wanted to let me know from the beginning that their child had not practiced this week. Before setting foot in the studio, they wanted to make sure that something valuable could be accomplished and that I would not simply be "babysitting" their student. It sent a clear message to me that these parents want to see their child succeed, but they also respect my time. I have to admit that it took me a little by surprise, but it was definitely appreciated. Just for the record.....there was plenty that could be accomplished since the lack of practice hasn't been established as a repeated trend....and the student and I had a really fun lesson together!
MISSES
  • On Monday, I forgot to take my daily medications and couldn't figure out why I was feeling so bad. Talk about a light bulb moment when I walked in the kitchen and saw that the day's meds were still in their compartment. Duh!
  • I hate sitting in on meetings that are trying to sell me something. I think I'm a savvy shopper. Show me what you have to offer and let me examine it on my own. If I have questions, I'll let you know. Most of the time, a pushy sales pitch guarantees that I'm not going with that product....even if it's what I really want!
  • Don't you just hate it when you're sitting with a group of people watching television and the person who decides to take control of the remote is reading the newspaper or playing on the laptop? But don't dare ask to take charge of the clicker! The "remote hog" is absorbed in the current programming! Grrr!
  • One of my biggest pet peeves is unreturned, scheduled phone calls. I hate to talk on the phone, so if I make a call, there's something to be said. As much as I hate the phone, I realize that it is important to return them. When I finally reach the individual that is making an inquiry of me, I understand when someone tells me "This isn't a good time. Can I call you later this evening?" Not a problem.....but don't have me wait by the phone for several DAYS without a response.....especially when YOU initiated the need for a conversation in the first place. I'm sure something else came up....but I still don't have to like it.
PROGRESS REPORT
More than anything this week, I'm celebrating the first bullet point on this update of my reading life. The beast is done!
  • Crime and Punishment - p. 551 of 551. COMPLETE! (129 pages read this week)
  • Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned by Wells Tower - p. 153 of 238 (150 pages read this week)

No comments:

Post a Comment