Friday, February 13, 2015

Another Year Together

Tomorrow, my parents will celebrate 56 years of marriage. (You have no idea the math we have to go through in my family to confirm ages and anniversaries. Way too complicated!) Their 56th year together was filled with lots of highs and lows, but they made it through together. I have the unique perspective of being their youngest child. I've seen the good times and I've seen the bad. Let me share with you what I have learned from my parents' marriage.

  • I have learned what true love looks like. All of their children give them grief when they "get lovey-dovey," but we also know that their relationship is a picture of absolute love. Mom and Dad met in high school and their love story continues to grow. It's an inspiration to all who see them.
  • I understand the power of compromise. Making decisions as a couple is never easy. Someone always has to bend to the other's will to some degree. Mom and Dad make compromise look easy. I have seen it happen over and over through the years. They will have opposing ideas about how best to handle a situation. When the right decision isn't obvious, there is normally a very quiet, yet intense, conversation. The two will go about their business to think and pray. Once the answer is clear, one submits to the other. I think I've taken a lot of that into my relationships with people as well even though I'm still striving to reach the level of grace that my parents display in this area.
  • Absolute commitment to each other is a strong bond. Whether the challenge was a health issue, financial troubles, or vicious rumors floating in the air, my parents knew that the only way their marriage would survive the difficult times was through total commitment to each other. There have been disagreements and fights. Still, they ultimately made it crystal clear to each other -- and to their kids -- that their commitment to their marriage was for life and that commitment was not taken lightly. During my childhood and adolescence, I sometimes wondered how my parents survived situations that I thought would destroy most "normal" marriages. Now I understand that part of the reason their marriage stood was because of their commitment to each other and the strong foundation upon which their family was built.
  • There is no stronger foundation than one of faith. Since I'm still living in the Geriatric Ward, I get to quietly observe the most important routine in my parents' daily lives. As I sleepily make my way to the kitchen each morning around 6:15am, I am greeted by the sounds of my parents praying together. As Mom sits on the couch with her Bible in her lap and Dad is in his chair, the two bring their concerns before their Heavenly Father. Rarely do I not hear Dad praying for his three children by name while Mom is praying protection and blessing over the grandchildren. Many of you who are reading this post that are outside of my immediate family have also been mentioned as you faced sickness, stress, or other issues of life. What a blessing it has been to be raised in a Godly home! What an example they have provided that reminds me of the importance of an intimate, personal relationship with the Creator!
As the world focuses on love in the shape of red paper hearts candied with chocolate kisses tomorrow, I want to wish my parents a very happy anniversary. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for consistently showing me what true love is and reminding me daily just how loved I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment