Monday, February 23, 2015

Hits and Misses (February 15-21)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • I thoroughly enjoyed a lazy week due to the winter weather that hit Memphis. I only got out of the house two days this week to work -- Thursday at Union and Saturday at Bartlett Music. That's a great week!
  • To make the week even better, I was able to get a lot of work done from home. Much of it was thinking and planning for events that I simply haven't had time to do....and the snow days were the perfect time to do just that.
  • I was surprised by the fun conversation that happened on Collaborations this week because of my post about page turning. It was neat to hear from a fellow Pepperdine pianist and recall misadventures together. Another colleague shared about his experience turning pages for Olivier Messiaen. (I always have to Google the correct spelling of the composer's name!)
  • With incredibly cold temperatures in the South this week, I have been very thankful for the space heater that permits me to stay warm and toasty in my bedroom/office.
MISSES
  • Job hunting is the pits! It's so easy to fall into negative thinking when completing what feels like application #1,000,000. I long for the day that I finally land a job that will pay the bills.
  • Even though I got a lot of work done, the icy roads cramped my style this week. I'm definitely not a home body. By Wednesday, I had a bad case of cabin fever and someone was going to get hurt!
  • For someone who lives by a calendar, rescheduling appointments is never an easy thing for me. A recital hearing was postponed due to the weather; when we finally returned to school, it was postponed again due to performer illness. Mom was scheduled for a dermatologist visit on Friday that had to be postponed because of icy roads. Her new appointment is on the same day as the above mentioned recital.....so I had to coordinate getting my sister to take care of the appointment. It's just a mess....but it's all going to work out eventually.
  • After having so much bad weather this week, a rainy Saturday was not what I had in mind. Thankfully the temperature was above freezing or we would have been in a pickle!
  • I hate when I make stupid mistakes. They are embarrassing and they result in wasted time for everyone involved. A student informed me that the sound in one of the lectures in the online class wasn't working. We had just revised the presentation to correct some issues with Java. Imagine my frustration when I got home and realized that I had failed to connect the audio files to the presentation! I felt stupid....but felt better when I realized I could revert to the Java file for the time being to buy myself a little time to correct the issue.
PROGRESS REPORTS
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog.....221 of 221 - COMPLETE! (44 pages this week)
  • Cole Porter - 118 of 397 (98 pages this week)
  • The Crazyladies of Pearl Street by Trevanian - 102 of 367 (102 pages this week)
  • As you can see, it has been a good week for my reading life.... nearly 250 pages of pleasure reading. That's more like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment