Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Looking for Inspiration?

Creative people are constantly looking for inspiration. Normally inspiration is easy to find and the music, thoughts, and language flows freely. But what about those times when it seems that nothing moves you? Where do you begin to look to restore the creative juices? Here are a few of my faithful places to "visit" when I need to find fresh inspiration.

  • Life adventures. Whether the memory is funny or tragic, reflecting on past experiences can often inspire my creativity. Many times I discover past emotions that I have not fully explored. Other times I find myself focusing on things that I want to make sure I never forget.
  • Current frustrations. I know it sounds strange, but thinking about the things that frustrate me most often serves as the beginning of fresh inspiration. Since I don't like the situation, perhaps it is time to address it through my music. Maybe a solution to the problem can be presented in my writing. The inspiration may lead to discovering something in myself that serves as a launching pad for a new creative venture.
  • Questions that need answers. All sorts of questions may spark creative inspiration and tend to be a good place to search for freshness. Your questions may range from "What is the answer to poverty?" to "Why don't I like onions?" or even "What is my purpose in life?" The inspiration isn't found in the answers themselves, but in the process of searching for the answer.
  • Reading a good book. It's no secret that I love to read. In a book, the author introduces me to new people, places, and philosophies. As I read, my mind begins to explore....and creativity bursts to life.
  • Other people. I find that many extremely creative people can sometimes prefer avoiding the crowds. For me, I can normally find inspiration by interacting with other people and simply listening to their stories and opinions about things. Before too long, my mind and heart respond and I'm on to a new project.
  • My faith. The source of all creativity is found in the heart of the Creator of Heaven and Earth. When I'm desperate for inspiration, I find myself returning to the precepts of Scripture and my personal relationship with a loving God.
How do you find inspiration when the well has run dry? Please share your approaches in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment