Monday, July 29, 2013

Hits and Misses (June 22-28)

I'm stealing an idea from my friend Tim Spivey. (If you're looking for insightful writing on Christian leadership, do yourself a favor and check out his blog, New Vintage Leadership. He's one of the few bloggers that I make sure I read regularly.) Each Friday, Tim concludes the week with a post series he calls Stream of Consciousness. These posts have no set theme and are simply a recounting of what's going on in Tim's world and what's on his mind.

My version of the blog series will appear on Monday mornings. Hits and Misses will recount the week that has passed....the good, the bad, and the ugly......and hit everything from food, television, movies, books, and everything in between. The only rule is that there are no rules! So.....without further ado.....let's get to last week's Hits and Misses!

HITS

  • The speed limit in Texas has been raised to 75 mph along many portions of the interstate. This meant that the trip from Conroe to Crawfordsville was a wonderful 9 hours, 5 minutes long. That's one of the best celebrations of the week!
  • Top Chef Masters began a new season on Bravo! I'm a sucker for all of these cooking competition shows. I especially like the twist of having an additional competition between the sous-chefs that directly impacts the contest between the masters. The first episode combined cooking outdoors and skydiving. What more could you ask for?
  • Along those same lines, Mom and I tried 2 new recipes that were major hits. I "tried" to take pictures of the meals.......photography is not one of my gifts, but they'll get better with a little more practice.

  • Herbed Lemon Chicken Breast

    Cheddar Baked Chicken
    • I've searched the Internet high and low for the recipe for the Herbed Lemon Chicken and can't find it anywhere! It was a promotional recipe from Mrs. Dash and included lemon juice, chicken stock, lemon zest, and brown sugar to make the crust. AMAZING!
    • Cheddar Baked Chicken was a hit and a huge success! The Rice Krispies made the crust really crunchy and made the cheddar a little less pronounced.
  • Chocolate Chip Cookies! I should have been called Cookie Monster this week. I had such a craving for Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip Cookies. That's never a good situation; the entire bag is already gone. Now Mom is in the kitchen feeding my addiction again. I just had a bite of raw cookie dough and can't wait for the first batch of cookies to come out of the oven! YUM YUM YUM!!!!!!!!!
  • Unexpected money is always nice too. Got a check today that I didn't see coming. Definitely surprised, but also grateful.
  • The week ended with a relaxing afternoon with my family. After we all attended various churches in the metro area, we met together for lunch at O'Charley's before heading to my sisters so we could have more time to visit with my oldest niece and her husband. Even though my body was tired and I desperately needed to take some medicine, the laughter and fun was wonderful. This was truly the highlight of a great week.
MISSES
  • Two trips to the doctor in one week are never fun. Neither diagnosis was too horrible: a varicose vein on my left leg and the early stages of another sinus infection. 
  • Headaches normally accompany my sinus infections, so I've not gotten the chance to read as much as I would have liked. Hope to make up for lost time as I start to feel better in the coming week.
  • Trying new recipes also resulted in a couple of misses.
    Meatball Sub Casserole
    • Meatball Sub Casserole sounded pretty good. The only problem was the mixture of cream cheese and mayonnaise on the bread. Honestly, it didn't taste as bad as you would think.....I think the problem was that Mom was a little overly generous when spreading the cream mixture on the bread. (It really looked much more appetizing than the picture conveys too!)
    • I deleted the picture I took of the Cheesy Chicken Bow Tie Pasta because it just looked like a bowl of melted cheese and spaghetti sauce. The flavor was okay (read as "not worth a repeat performance"). My major complaint was that there was simply too much sauce for too little pasta.
    • I was really surprised that the bow tie pasta didn't turn out better. The blog Plain Chicken is one of my favorite food blogs and has been the source of a lot of our recent recipe successes. The picture looks amazing still....our version just didn't turn out the same. 
That pretty much sums up the week! I hope you have a wonderful week ahead filled with laughter, love, and blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment