Monday, July 1, 2013

Sparks

Just as a small spark begins an enormous fire, the beginning of creativity also starts with the smallest spark. A germ of an idea grabs your imagination and things begin to happen. Whether you are painting, playing a musical instrument, writing, or sculpting, the initial creative spark is an exciting moment that the artist longs for.

What happens when the spark just isn't there? While getting ready to write this post, I had to admit that I really had nothing grabbing my attention. (Isn't it interesting as well that sometimes the ABSENCE of the spark BECOMES the spark!) It's a scary feeling to know that you need to produce something, but you have nothing inspiring you.

Here's what I've learned to do when the spark is missing:

  • Push ahead. Sometimes the discipline of simply getting started is half of the battle. If I determine to write (or read or practice) when I don't feel like it, I often find that just doing something will result in something productive.
  • Accept that everything is not going to be a masterpiece! I am my biggest critic. I often feel that if I'm not producing something excellent that I may as well not produce anything. Sometimes we have to purge our creative minds of the trash in order to get to the treasure that lies below. No one hits a home run with every attempt. (The next time someone claims that they do, just smile and know that they are not telling you the truth.)
  • Relax in the knowledge that the spark will return. Creatives are highly susceptible to feelings of inferiority and self-loathing when the dry spells come. Take a deep breath, continue to practice your craft, and know that another brilliant idea is just around the corner. If the spark is gone for a few days, I find it helpful to get out of the routine for a bit and do something enjoyable. When I do something out of the ordinary, I normally come back inspired and ready to start creating again.

No comments:

Post a Comment