Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thankful 1: Rest

Normally I don't participate in the daily challenges that I see online.  Often I think they are rather mundane and annoying. Those that interest me I stumble across after they have been going for sometime. Since it's November 1 and I've struggled with blogging recently (mostly because of lack of time) I decided to make a run at participating in the month of thankfulness this year.

Today, I am thankful for rest. I have experienced extreme levels of exhaustion recently that have effected me physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I was thrilled to finally have a day that had very few scheduled appointments. I slept in this morning (to the incredibly late time of 7:30am) before moving to the couch. I spent the majority of the day sitting right there with the remote in my hand, watching mind-numbing television. Some days I just need to be dumb!

As I write this post, I still feel tired and sore in body.  Emotionally, I continue to feel somewhat overwhelmed. Still, I am thankful for the time of rest that I experienced today. Even when our rest periods don't allow us to completely recover, they do provide hope that better days are ahead. I anticipate next week to be some of those better days when I return to California for a short-term work project....and hopefully some time for play and relaxation!

Spiritually, I am clinging to the truth found in Isaiah 40:29-31:  "He gives strength to those who are tired.  He gives power to those who are weak.  Even young people become worn out and get tired.  Even the best of them trip and fall.  But those who trust in the Lord will receive new strength.  They will fly as high as eagles.  They will run and not get tired.  They will walk and not grow weak."

No comments:

Post a Comment