Friday, November 2, 2012

Thankful 2: Music

It should come as no surprise to most of you, but today I am thankful for music. I don't mean the ability to play music or work in the field (although I am truly thankful for both of these things and will probably share about them later this month). I'm simply thankful that my life has been blessed with the sounds of music to communicate emotions and ideas bigger than me.

What brought on this thankfulness right now? Today has been filled with music. I had the opportunity to share some of my favorite music with students this morning and to rehearse wonderful pieces with young singers all afternoon long. The culmination of my day was performing a wonderful recital this evening. I was struck by the depth of humor, angst, and worship that music can convey. It is such a blessing to explore those emotions (as well as others) whether I am playing, listening, or discussing music.

Throughout the ages, many have considered music a way of communing with a higher power....a way of experiencing a nearness with the God of creation. I am so thankful that this precious mode of worship and self-exploration has become such a vital part of my personal, professional and ministerial life.

No comments:

Post a Comment