Friday, July 8, 2011

Surprises

Into every life there must come a few surprises.  When we least expect them, we are shocked by their appearance.  Some are welcome interruptions; others are best described as annoyances.  It seems I have had more than my fair share of surprises recently.

I cannot tell you how surprised I was to trip over my own two feet during Music Camp (thankfully no one was around).  In my attempt to catch myself, I landed awkwardly on my left hand.  At first I didn't notice any problems, but they showed up the next day as I began to practice.  A quick trip to the doctor revealed that nothing was broken, but I would need to take a few weeks off from serious practicing.  That diagnosis led to another unwelcome surprise -- I wouldn't be playing for the musical I had been contracted for due to the injury.  I had already made plans for the cash and was disappointed to see it go away.  While I was depressed about the lost gig, I got the pleasant surprise of receiving an unexpected check.  The gift allowed me to complete the plans I had made. 

Surprises can also come from the reactions of other people.  A word of encouragement coming from someone you never imagined would notice your labor is an amazing surprise.  Conversely, learning that someone has been upset by something said in a passing moment of mutual jocularity is not such a pleasant surprise. 

Sometimes surprises lead to unexpected opportunities.  You didn't plan for things, but you get to revel in the outcome.  Other times a change of plans is an unwelcome surprise, especially when the change is beyond your control.  There is nothing you can do to rectify the situation, so you simply have to sit back, watch, wait, and hope that the situation works out for the best.

A person's current view of surprises is often colored by their most recent experience with surprises.  Whether the last one was good or bad, the truth of the matter is that surprises are the things that keep life interesting.....the things that make life worth living!

1 comment:

  1. "Sometimes surprises lead to unexpected opportunities."

    Yes, indeed! Even unhappy surprises often have a hidden bonus that is nice. I'm glad you were able to see the other side of the situation.

    ReplyDelete