Monday, July 25, 2011

A Summer Escape

Last Wednesday saw the ending of two major commitments in my life.  Late Wednesday morning, I turned in grades for my summer class and then headed straight to the church where I taught the final installment of the intergenerational Bible study I have led for the past twelve weeks.  Since the bulk of the responsibility had been lifted from my shoulders for a while, I decided to take a few days and get away for rest, relaxation, and repair.  When I climbed in the car on Thursday morning, I wasn’t certain where I would head; finally I decided to visit Hot Springs, Arkansas.  After driving for a few hours and sitting in some long traffic tie ups, I finally arrived in Hot Springs and immediately thought “What was I thinking?”  The place looked run down and completely uninteresting.  I had heard much about the historic downtown area, so I decided to venture on before bolting for another destination.  As I rolled into the historic district, my mood and attitude shifted and I spent two days checking out the sights, sounds, and tastes of Hot Springs.

The weather was extremely hot and humid as I rolled into town and there was no hope for relief.  That meant that my normal mode of exploring the city and its activities on foot was out of the question.  These excursions are what tend to suck up the majority of my travel budget; since I knew I would spend a large amount of time at my hotel, I decided to splurge for a room at the Arlington Hotel and Spa.  The Arlington was conveniently located at the edge of the historic district and was a beautiful building from a time gone by.  I especially enjoyed the relaxing mineral bath available in my suite; not only were the warm waters from the mountain springs refreshing, the 6-foot tub was a welcome addition. 

Despite the heat, I couldn’t just sit in my room on Thursday afternoon, so I opted to take a leisurely (and sweaty) stroll along the historic avenue.  Known for its numerous antique shops, I found them to contain more trash than treasure.  What I did enjoy the most, however, were the numerous art shops featuring the works of local artists.  One piece in particular caught my eye – an exquisite blue tile butterfly with copper wire detail.  I nearly walked out of the shop with the piece because the price was right and I like to pick up some sort of decoration to remember my trip.  That’s a neat type of “scrapbooking” that was suggested by a friend while visiting Hawaii last spring.  I talked myself out of the butterfly since many of my pieces are piled in corners because I don’t have a place to display my treasures in my parents’ house.  (As luck would have it, I discovered that my folks had spent the weekend FINALLY clearing my Dad’s stuff out of my bedroom and freed up the walls.  Now I have a place to put all of my decorations – which sadly does not include the blue butterfly!  Oh well….no time for regrets…..)

On Friday morning, I decided to visit the Museum of Contemporary Art since I had been so impressed by the art shops the previous afternoon.  I should have known I was in trouble when I walked in and the curator explained that “contemporary” referred to living artists rather than any type of artistic movement.  Despite my instincts, I decided that the $5 admission fee combined with the excessive heat were reason enough to at least give it a try.  What I discovered there was sorely disappointing.  With the exception of two pieces – a sculpture and a photograph – everything was either kitschy or a bad recreation of a famous work.  As a performing artist, it was frustrating to realize that Hot Springs is a tourist destination and that the MOCA would be a representation of the Arkansas art scene for people from around the nation.

After viewing the “art” in the MOCA, I decided to take a short hike through the National Park area back to the hotel so I could observe some of God’s natural art.  The hike was challenging without being overly strenuous.  I think I would have really enjoyed walking the paths through the wooded areas if the heat had not been so oppressive.  If I ever venture back to Hot Springs, I will definitely make it a point to make time to explore these in greater detail in the morning.

No vacation would be complete for me without exploring some of the food the city offers.  On my window-shopping trip on Thursday afternoon, I noticed several interesting restaurants along the street and decided to check one out on Thursday evening:  Belle Arti.  I was disappointed.  The staff was more interested in their group conversation than serving the handful of patrons present and the food was mediocre.  While this was a let-down, I did find some really good food in the city from some unexpected places.  Those who know me best know that I have an insatiable sweet tooth, so it comes as no surprise that I would find The Fudge Factory!  Upon walking in, I knew that this store could be trouble for me personally – over 30 different varieties of fudge in addition to other treats.  I showed some restraint and decided to have a piece of marble fudge; it combined vanilla, chocolate and peanut butter fudge into a single, Heavenly experience.  The serving was ample and reasonably priced.  I was tempted to return before leaving to sample another fudge and bring home some of the sugar-free treats for Dad, but decided against it in the end.

The Pancake Shop sits across the street from the Arlington and serves nothing but breakfast every morning until 11:30am.  As I prepared to leave the hotel, I asked several members of the staff for recommendations and everyone told me I needed to visit this place.  There was nothing extravagant about the décor and the menu was simple; the food, however, was quite good and explained why The Pancake Shop had been named best breakfast in Hot Springs for several years.  I ordered the small ham and eggs.  I was treated to an ENORMOUS slice of bone-in ham that covered my plate.  Eggs were carefully balanced on the side of the plate and served as a respectful accompaniment to the featured ham.  Served with toast, I was surprised to find that the real star of the meal was the apple-grape jelly and apple butter that was brought out.  AMAZING!!!

While my trip to Hot Springs was not one of my favorites, it was a great time of rest for me.  I had the good fortune to sit quietly in my room and read a biography of Gustav Mahler while I watched people from my 7th floor window.  When it all comes down to it, I suppose that is the true merit of a successful vacation:  getting away from it all to do the things that bring you personal pleasure, relaxation, and enjoyment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment