Monday, July 24, 2017

Hits and Misses (July 16-22)


Here's a look at the week that was....

HITS
  • I don't enjoy hitting the stores as much as I used to, but when I do manage to go shopping, I love to find a good sale! I need some new things before heading back to Texas, so I made a trip to Dillard's this week. Walked in the door and found that a large portion of their slacks were 65% off. Very happy!
  • Wednesdays with Mom has become one of my favorite times of the week. Whether we make a quick run to Memphis for lunch, spend some time cooking together, or just sit around the Geriatric Ward laughing, these days in the middle of the week are treasures. 
  • I love to read. It's that simple. I've needed some extra distraction this week, so I buried my nose in several novels and found myself whisked away to other places. It is a great form of escape and one that brings me a lot of pleasure.
  • In the midst of a rough week, it was comforting to have family time throughout the week to share thoughts and encourage one another. Whether we talk by text message, phone call, or in person, I am blessed to have a family who listens, understands, and stands together.
 
MISSES
  • My back has been problematic for several weeks now. It's not a constant ache, but rather something that rears its head when I bend just right or take an awkward step. This week, I felt the need to stretch shortly after getting out of bed. As soon as I did, I realized that I had thrown my back out. I was very happy to know that I already had an appointment with my chiropractor the next morning. We've been working on my back for a while now, but I'm definitely ready for things to get back to normal.
  • It seems that road construction follows me wherever I go. Highway 64, the main thoroughfare to and from Crawfordsville, is being expanded and has completely disrupted our travel in the Geriatric Ward. I've gotten to know many of the back roads this summer in an effort to avoid the mess and keep my car from getting damaged. It's added a little extra time to most drives, but I have to admit that I am sort of liking the routes. It's something different to look at!
  • Summer finally arrived in Memphis this week.....IT HAS BEEN HOT!!!! Excessive heat warnings hit the area on Wednesday and remained in effect the rest of the week. The air was thick and sticky. Breathing was rough. I spent as much time indoors as humanly possible.
  • Summer evenings without electricity are boring and uncomfortable.
  • On Sunday morning, I received the sad news that Sandy Currin, the beloved administrative assistant in Union University's Department of Music, had lost her battle with cancer and passed away that morning at 8:30am. Sandy was such a joy to work with and a marvelous friend. She was always supportive of me and provided encouragement and words of wisdom about life, maturing parents, health, and my continuing job search. In many ways, she was a Mom while I was away from home in Jackson. More importantly, she was the kindest woman I have ever met whose life was a constant witness for Christ. I consider myself very blessed that our paths crossed. I mourn for her husband Hal, her children, and her beloved grandchildren, but I celebrate with her that her suffering is over and she is now worshipping at the feet of her Savior whom she dearly loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment