Monday, July 17, 2017

Hits and Misses (July 9-15, 2017)


Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • Both Mom and I received good reports from our respective doctors this week.  Mom's left eye continues to heal nicely from her recent cataract surgery.  My right arm continues to improve through chiropractic adjustment and my calcium score ordered by the cardiologist came back with very low numbers, suggesting that I am a low risk for a cardiac event within the next 7-10 years.
  • We've also had a lot of good cooking in the Geriatric Ward this week. Much of the success has come with our recent acquisition of a meat thermometer. It's amazing what you can do when you have good tools that provide you with good information. Mom and I are looking forward to experimenting with it some more this week.
  • The weekly Geriatric Restaurant Adventures continued this week to rave reviews by the patients. While Dad was at a meeting on Thursday night, Mom and I ventured to Bosco's in Mid-town. The biggest hit of the week was Saturday's dinner at Ciao Bella. We all loved the Italian food we sampled and the blueberry bread pudding was to die for! I anticipate we will return to Ciao Bella before I have to go back to Texas in a few weeks.
  • All week long, Facebook has reminded me of happy times serving the children of Abundant Grace Ministries. Many summers were devoted to planning and conducting music camps for the kids. During these fun times, children were given a taste of performing on stage while receiving Biblical instruction. I have seen lots of pictures this week from several of the camps and have really enjoyed looking back at the kids that were involved, thinking about where they are now in their walk with Christ, and being really thankful that I was able to be a small part of their development. 
 
MISSES
  • Since summer vacation is winding down, I'm finding myself trying to do some planning for the Fall. It's like balancing a house of cards at times. The things I'm scheduling are important to me and I enjoy them.....but one error in calendar planning can make the whole thing come tumbling down. I'm just hoping that it all works out easily.
  • There's nothing worse to me than feeling unproductive. Lots of things can cause the lack of production -- poor motivation, lack of communication -- and it happens to all of us. I tend to get things done, but this week I've not gotten as much done as I would have liked. Here's hoping that the coming week improves.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment