Sunday, April 9, 2017

Hits & Misses (April 2-8, 2017)

Hit_and_miss.jpg

Here's a look back at the week that was......  

HITS
  • What a fulfilling week of music making! Weeks like this remind me of why I have spent my life pursuing this career. On Tuesday, I performed with WBU's Symphonic Band. Earlier that afternoon and again on Wednesday morning, I had the good fortune to hear the choirs from Estacado Middle School here in Plainview under the direction of Chris Kirby. Those kids are making some really beautiful sounds! Thursday took me to Lubbock to hear four young pianists at the Talkington School for Young Women Leaders. These young ladies are preparing to compete in the state level of the UIL solo piano competition this summer and are quite gifted. I look forward to getting to make a return trip to Talkington in the near future to hear how they have continued to improve their pieces. To round out the week, on Saturday afternoon, I rehearsed with the ladies choir from Coronado Middle School in Plainview and played for the closing ceremonies of the local Relay for Life event. So much music in so many different venues with vastly different audiences. Have I mentioned how much I love being a pianist?
  • I also got to hear an incredible concert. On Saturday evening, WBU's choirs joined forces with students from Lubbock Christian University. I can say with certainty that this was one of the best performances I have ever attended in my life. The quality of sound and overall musicianship of all involved was astounding and comparable to the very best professional ensembles around. I was mesmerized throughout the entire concert. So proud of what our students accomplished.
  • In the midst of all the work, there was time for fun. Thursday night's doughnut night was especially needed this week -- by students and faculty alike. It was nice to just relax together for a little while and enjoy a slower pace. I spent Friday evening with some of my colleagues and their children. What was planned to be a night of cards turned into a much needed evening of conversation, laughter and relaxation. It's such a blessing to work in a place where my colleagues are like family to me....and that we all enjoy spending time together outside of the office when we can. I don't take that for granted at all because I've also witnessed what it's like when the opposite is true. 
 
MISSES
  • The week was full of rehearsals! Voice students are preparing for preliminary juries this week. (Actually they are really late midterms, but that's a whole different story.) As a result, my calendar was filled with students who needed a little extra coaching as they prepared for the exam. Some were behind schedule because there had been cancelled lessons throughout the semester for various reasons beyond their control. Understandable! Some just needed a reminder that they are prepared. Super! Others have not applied themselves to personal practice on a regular basis and suddenly find themselves in crisis mode. Frustrating! I tried to be supportive throughout the week while also giving honest assessments of where each one was and what needed to happen in the days ahead. The next few days will tell the tale.
  • Nothing is worse than realizing you forgot to put an appointment in your calendar. I had scheduled something tentatively for late in the week, but failed to mark it on my calendar. I assumed it would be finalized quickly. As the crazy week continued, I forgot about the commitment and scheduled other things during that open slot. I had to do some quick shuffling of the schedule when the original appointment was finalized and I realized that I was double booked. Every thing worked out, but I had a few scary moments there as I tried to juggle things around.
  • Birds hate me! The longer I am in Plainview, the more I realize that we have been overrun with birds. I never remember what these "creatures" are actually called, but they are noisy and messy! To make matters worse, the tree outside my apartment is home to these annoying winged beasts, so they wake me with their call every morning......as they leave their "gifts" on the hood of my car. I washed the car on Friday afternoon and intentionally parked a little closer to the street than usual to try to keep my car out of the line of fire. These birdies decided to show me who was boss though. I went out later that evening to find one of them standing on the hood of my car.....you guessed it.....taking care of business! Really? I can't win!

No comments:

Post a Comment