Monday, April 24, 2017

Hits and Misses (April 17-23)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....    

HITS
  • What is more fun than getting new music in the mail? It's just so satisfying to know that I have new pieces to consider learning. It's like a first introduction to a new friend....you're not necessarily sure how the relationship will ultimately turn out, but it is kind of thrilling and terrifying at the same time.
  • This week has been marked by some really good food adventures. With the warmer weather, shaved ice vendors are popping up around Plainview....and boy, they are yummy! The week had been long, so I decided to treat myself this weekend. Headed to Lubbock on Saturday for dinner at Longhorn Steak and remembered how much I enjoy the tomato-basil soup there. After church on Sunday morning, I visited Tokyo Hibachi Grill and stuffed myself....and have some left for lunch on Monday! Good food with a good book in a quiet corner of the restaurant is the perfect recipe for an enjoyable meal to me.
  • Speaking of church, Pastor Jason preached one of the finest sermons I have heard on Christian Unity. College Heights Baptist is very blessed to have him as our senior pastor because of his commitment to the Word, his unyielding devotion to Christ, and his longing to see CHBC serve all areas of the Plainview community. I know that I have personally grown in my spiritual walk while sitting under his ministry. For that, I am very thankful.
MISSES
  • As much as I enjoy getting new music in the mail, I despise when it is bent! For the first time since coming to Plainview, I received a package from Sheet Music Plus that was crammed into my small mailbox. Normally, I either receive a package notice in the box or the item is discreetly hidden just inside the screen door of my apartment. Not this time.......there was a hard crease down the center of the envelope in an effort to fit it inside the box. This does not make for a happy pianist!
  • Insects are arriving in Plainview along with the warmer weather. I hate mosquitos and other crawling creatures. I know it's only a matter of time before I begin to find them indoors as well. I already have my zapper and insect sprays at the ready!
  • On Sunday afternoon, I received a phone call from my older brother. That's never a good sign! O'Neal and I get along fine...we just don't "chat" on the phone.  He was calling to let me know that he was following an ambulance that was carrying Mom to Baptist East in Memphis. Mom is scheduled to have a heart cath on Wednesday because of the findings of a recent echocardiogram. On Sunday afternoon, she began to feel as though her heart was racing and could not be slowed. As O'Neal and Pop began to assist her to the car, she basically fainted in their arms. O'Neal suggested that an ambulance be called in case something should go wrong on the drive over.  To make a long story a little shorter, at the time of this writing on Sunday evening, Mom is stable and sounded like herself when she called me a few minutes ago. An X-ray of her kidneys revealed that she was severely dehydrated -- which would most likely account for the heart palpitations as well as the fainting and headaches she had experienced. Mom has been admitted to the hospital for the night for observation. She will see her cardiologist in the morning as well as have an additional EKG and blood work performed. I suppose the biggest "miss" about all of this is the reminder of just how far I am from home. Typically, I would be the one handling Mom and Dad's medical care. Now I can't do that...and the sense of helplessness in these situations is not easy on this hands-on Geriatric care giver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment