Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Energy Sappers


I just got back from a much-needed getaway and I'm already writing about energy sappers?!? You have got to be kidding me! Like it or not, we all have certain things that completely wipe us out and drain us of all energy. Often it seems that these things are more pronounced for me immediately after returning from a season of rest....since I'm trying to get back into a normal routine, the things that wear me down suddenly seem more pronounced and impactful.

Here are a few of the things that I know sap my energy...

  • Bursts of busyness followed by absolute calm. I tend to function best when I have a steady stream of activity in my schedule. I can get myself moving and my mind functioning and keep going for most of the day. However, when I find myself with a packed morning that leads into an afternoon that has little activity, I can almost always hang it up. That afternoon is going to drag on forever and my productivity is going to screech to a halt.
  • Feeling under the weather. I'm not sick. I don't feel as though I need to stay in bed all day long, but there is something about my body that is just not quite right. Perhaps I didn't get quite enough rest the night before. Maybe I'm struggling with a slightly stuffy nose or some mild allergies. Whatever it is, I just don't feel 100%....and it takes all of my effort to just push through the day. Honestly, I would prefer a full-on sinus event over these "blah" days because then I actually know what's causing the "run-down" feeling instead of trying to figure out why I'm so tired.
  • Being hot and stuffy. Let's face it.....I have extra padding, so I tend to stay warm during the coldest of months. As Winter turns to Spring and Summer, there are many days where I'm just not sure whether I will need the thermostat set to "heat" or "cool." Then there is the added issue when the heat just become stuffy. It's not unbearably hot; it's just not comfortable. What can I say? I like my creature comforts....and when I get warm, I get drowsy as the afternoon wears on.
The good news is that I can always rest assured that none of the energy sappers will last for too long. Schedules will return to their usual hecticness without a doubt. I will begin to feel like my normal self sooner rather than later. Cooler days are sure to come -- and AC units will ultimately be returned to the School of Music. 😄 The most important factor in managing my energy sappers is managing my attitude. Maybe things are not ideal at the moment....but by choosing to look at those things that ARE right in my world, I begin to find new energy to move ahead and overcome my energy sappers.

No comments:

Post a Comment