Monday, November 23, 2015

Hits and Misses (Novemeber 15-21)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • I've had a blast sitting in the orchestra pit as we moved Wayland's production of The Mikado to the stage this week. There has been plenty of laughter and fun as we've made wonderful music together. The show ran this weekend and was a huge hit. It's nice to know that my first production with Wayland Opera went off without too many problems along the way.
  • In addition to opera rehearsals and performances, the week saw a lot of performances and rehearsals. As the semester winds down, I'm getting more opportunities to return to instrumental collaboration. Even though working with singers will always be my first love, there is nothing quite like working with young instrumentalists. On top of that, I got to work with bassoonists for the first time this week. (Have I mentioned lately how much I love my job?)
MISSES
  • I agreed to judge the local hymn competition when I first arrived in Plainview. At the time, I didn't realize that I would be driving back from Oklahoma City the night before. I was far too tired to offer any positive comments to the students and the competition was not what I was expecting. Live and learn, I suppose.
  • Production week of any show is always draining. It has been a week full of long days and late nights. It has been a great experience, but I have definitely missed crawling in bed by 10pm. That just means I'll need to get lots of sleep when I get back to Arkansas on Wednesday!
  • It comes as no surprise to anyone that orchestra pits are dusty. My allergies have given me fits this week; as I am writing this post (on Saturday afternoon), I'm coming to terms with the fact that my stuffy nose is most likely turning into a full-blown cold. C'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment