Monday, September 14, 2015

Hits and Misses (September 7-13)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • Let's begin with the really important stuff first. It was a short work week with the observance of Labor Day on Monday. I love my job, but I'm never gonna complain about having a day off either!
  • Just as my plate was getting full at the end of the week, I was overjoyed to have an extended text conversation with great friends that kept me laughing for quite a while. No matter how far apart we are or how much time has elapsed since our last conversation, I always know that these two are in my corner.....and I hope they both know that the reverse is always true as well.
  • On Saturday, I decided to continue my explorations by making a day trip to Amarillo. I didn't do much exploring, but it was very relaxing to enjoy lunch at a favorite chain restaurant (even if they did mess up the order) and spend a few hours browsing through bookstores while stumbling across the mall. I'm certain that a return visit will be on the agenda in the not-too-distant future.
  • I can now say that I have gotten completely settled in Plainview now that the last piece of the puzzle has been put in place. On Sunday morning, I joined the body of believers that meet at College Heights Baptist Church and will begin serving as the church pianist in October. It feels good to have a place of worship that I can call home and begin to plant roots. I'm looking forward to the good things that are coming in the months and years ahead.
MISSES
  • I had a horrible experience with the staff at Chili's in Plainview. I arrived during the lunch rush and asked for a table for one guest. I was told that there were no tables available for those dining alone. I looked around the corner and saw some empty tables that needed to be cleared. When I pointed these out and offered to wait, I was informed that those were for larger parties. I was offered a seat at the bar (not a table in the bar area) which I declined and offered to wait for a table to open up. I was very rudely informed that there would be no seating for individuals. I was fuming by this point but somehow managed to keep my cool. I have contacted the national offices of Chili's and reported the incident. I don't know that I really expect anything to happen, but I did express my dissatisfaction with the situation and that I don't intend to visit that location again.
  • I have had no motivation to deal with chores this week. Nothing is obviously neglected at the moment; things just need attention before they become noticeably neglected. I guess I've just continued to operate in vacation mode all week long.
  • On Saturday afternoon, I heard the disturbing news that a fraternity brother, Rob Balucas, had been involved in a biking accident while training last weekend. He had to undergo spinal surgery and is recovering in ICU in northern California. Although I spoke with Rob briefly and understand that a full recovery is expected, it is just another reminder of why it can be frustrating to be living so far away from my friends in California. I know there's nothing I could do right now, but I still want to have the option to pack a bag, hit the road, and let him know in person that I'm thinking about and praying for him. The call of California is a constant struggle for this transplanted "Wave." One of these days (God willing), I'll find myself in Paradise again.

No comments:

Post a Comment