Monday, August 17, 2015

Hits and Misses (August 9-15)

I'm slowly getting back into the routine of blogging once again. Here's a look at the week that was....

HITS
  • The week began with my first visit to a Plainview Church in my search for a new church home. I attended morning and evening services at Plainview First Assembly. The people were very friendly, the senior pastor spoke very powerfully, and I enjoyed the worship. I could see myself being very happy attending this church. There were a few things that I wasn't completely sold on, so I'm continuing to visit other churches for a few weeks and prayerfully seeking the church that I will ultimately join.
  • After being in Plainview for a while, it was a very welcome feeling to finally get started at Wayland. I'm learning my way around campus, getting to know my colleagues, and getting ready for my classes. New students began to arrive at the end of the week; the fall semester will begin on Wednesday.
  • With all of the orientation meetings, I've gotten lots of free food this week. That's always a welcome thing for a bachelor.  Lunch was provided for me on Monday, Thursday, and Friday....plus there was a dinner for faculty and staff on Thursday evening. I've not had to spend much time in the kitchen this week at all!
  • On Friday afternoon, I got to enjoy a relaxing coffee session with the pianists before diving into the semester. I thoroughly enjoyed getting out of the office for a little while with the other piano professor and one of his piano students. The conversation was lively, fun, and very positive. I'm really looking forward to getting to have more of these types of discussions throughout the semester.
MISSES
  • Meetings are exhausting! I know there is always a lot to be discussed at the beginning of the term, but I was thrilled when the week came to an end because that meant I didn't have to attend another meeting for a little while. Seriously, y'all! I've sat in over 25 hours of meetings since Monday morning. My ears are tired, my brain is numb, and my butt is spreading! Yikes!
  • When I arrived home on Friday evening, there was a repair truck in my parking spot. I parked in another open spot and planned to move my car later in the evening. When I noticed that my spot was open, I grabbed a set of keys and headed out to move my car. I was surprised when nothing happened when I pushed the button to unlock the driver's door. That's when I realized that I had grabbed the keys to my office....and not my car! Guess what? My apartment key was on the set of keys inside the apartment....and I locked the door on the way out. That's right, folks.....I locked myself out of my apartment! After a few minutes of fretting, I followed a gentlemen to his door and introduced myself. When I explained the situation, he smiled because he had done the same thing that morning. He offered to call the landlord for me, but we couldn't get anyone to answer. The neighbor drove me to the landlord's house where he (thankfully) drove up as we were about to leave. I was loaned the master key (not a situation I liked being in at all!) to let myself back in the apartment. I learned that lesson though......on Saturday afternoon, I went directly to Wal-Mart and had a duplicate key made that now holds a prized place on my office keys!
  • I'm in the final stages of getting all of my driver information transferred to Texas. It has been a pain and a half though. I'm still looking for a front mount for my car tags. The copy of my birth certificate that I had to order (and dropped a small piece of gold to pay for!) has finally arrived; once I can prove that my insurance coverage meets the Texas requirements, I'll have everything I need to get a new driver's license. I'm really hoping that this is the last thing I have to do to fully become a Texas resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment