Monday, August 10, 2015

Hits and Misses (August 2-8)

I finally have Internet in my home again! That means I can get back to my routine of blogging and tell you once again about the week that was.....

HITS
  • It's nice to say that I am almost fully settled into my new apartment. It has been a chore and not one that I want to repeat anytime soon. Most of the boxes are unpacked -- I'm just waiting on a media storage unit that I've ordered to arrive -- then I can finally figure out what to do with the last of my things. My apartment feels a lot like home. I couldn't put my finger on it for a while, then I realized that the carpeting that runs through the space is identical to what is in the Geriatric Ward. That tells you how long it has been since either place has been updated.
  • Plainview is proving to be a neat little town. Everyone in town comments on how small it is, but since I'm just coming from Crawfordsville, it's almost like a metropolis to me.
  • I was very lucky to have my brother and sister-in-law spend a few days here helping me set up. The process was overwhelming as it was. I would still be trying to figure out what I was going to do with the kitchen and bathroom if it wasn't for their help.
  • I've made some important finds this week. Since I was needing a refill on one of my prescriptions, I went on the search for a local doctor. I was very pleased with what I found at West Texas Family Medicine. I think Dr. John McClanahan and I are going to get along just fine. By the end of the week, I needed to relax a bit and made my way to the local movie theater. It's an old space, but very quaint and the prices are great! I think I paid $5.85 to see a movie on a Saturday night.  That's a price I can handle!
MISSES
  • Goodbyes are never easy. I've had to say more than my fair share of them this week. The last ones were a little easier, but none of them were any fun at all.
  • Moving is hard work and expensive. Good grief! I have engaged muscles that I had forgotten about while lifting all of these boxes and moving them from one place to another. I've been blessed that my back held on until Saturday evening to really start giving me any problems. I'm walking, so it's not as bad as it could be, but I'm definitely taking it easy for the next few days. I have made more trips to Wal-Mart in Plainview than I think I made in the past month in Arkansas. I should take out stock in the place......the Waltons have made a good profit on me this week.
  • With all of the moving, I have been very sore in my hands and forearms. This has been frustrating because I know I need to be practicing.....and I really want to......but my arms just aren't holding up to the pressure at the moment. Now that the moving is nearing an end, I'm looking forward to having the energy and stamina to get back to the piano. It's been far too long!
  • My only major complaint about my apartment at the moment is the running toilet. It hasn't been doing this the entire time that I've been in the house. (Of course, it would start after my mechanically inclined brother left Plainview!) Nothing looks amiss in the tank, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've called the landlord and advised him of the issue, but nothing has been done. I am just thankful that this effects HIS utility bill and not mine since he will be the one paying for water and gas.  I just have to endure the sound.....and I've almost gotten to the point that I don't even notice it......almost!

No comments:

Post a Comment