Monday, August 24, 2015

Hits and Misses (August 16-22)

Here's a look at the week that was...

HITS
  • Classes are underway! I had already enjoyed getting to work at Wayland, but it was very exciting to begin the semester and draw from the energy of the students. There is a sense of excitement in the air and I am confident it's going to be a good semester.
  • Late in the week, deliveries that I had been waiting for finally arrived. One package was a new piece that I am excited to begin learning (Bartok's Suite, Op. 14). The other was a media storage unit that I had ordered several weeks ago from Walmart.com. When I finally received the notification that it had arrived, I was almost giddy! This was the next necessary piece to getting closer to being fully unpacked or so I thought.
  • It's always a proud moment when I am able to successfully assemble a piece of furniture. A few weeks ago, I managed to add another bookshelf to the apartment. This weekend, I assembled the media storage unit. This process was not as smooth as my earlier endeavor -- mainly because I didn't read the instructions carefully and used the wrong screws early in the assembly. I'm just glad that I finally figured out what I was doing and got the blasted thing together. Now I'll be able to put the next one together a bit quicker....and there will be another one since I still have more DVDs and CDs to store.
MISSES
  • I've been really frustrated with the post office since arriving in Plainview. First of all, it took nearly two and a half weeks to change the lock on my mailbox. That meant that I had to go to the post office during business hours to pick up my mail. Now that the lock has been changed, the items that were delivered (although I couldn't retrieve them) were promptly removed. When I went to the post office to lift the hold and gather the remaining mail, the desk staff condescendingly informed me that any lost mail or inconvenience I had experienced was a result of my infrequent trips to the post office. I was livid! I didn't bite her head off, but she knew exactly what I thought of her level of ineptitude before I left her desk. Grrrrr!
  • I'm fighting a lot of fatigue at the moment. I don't know what's causing the problem. I'm not having problems sleeping -- despite my internal alarm clock at 4:30am each morning -- and I'm eating regularly. The only thing that I can figure out is that I'm still trying to adapt to the weather in Texas.
  • That brings us to the final "miss" of the week -- the heat! Truthfully, the temperatures were pretty mild for the majority of the week. Still, the few warm days that we have had seem to have zapped my energy and I just can't recover. I'm not feeling bad, so a visit to the doctor isn't in the plans. I'm just trying to learn what my body needs to adapt to my new surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment